Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway CD (album) cover

THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY

Genesis

4.28 | 2004 ratings

The T
4 stars This album has so many reviews that, for once, I'll try to just give a quick opinion in only two paragraphs. We all know how an excellent band GENESIS was, we all know how fantastic albums they released, and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" is one of them.

In my view, the album is slightly long, at more than 90 minutes, and its complexity (especially in concept, but also musically, as the songs are shorter but the tunes less friendly) makes that duration become a burden. With easier concepts like in "Selling England By The Pound" or with friendlier, more accessible melodies as in "Foxtrot" this 90-minute monster would've been a breeze to walk through. But Mr. Peter Gabriel's weird ideas about a Puerto Rican youngster in New York's brightest street are matched with obscure music, simpler in form but darker in mood and catchiness. There are moments that capture our attention ("The Cage", "Back in N.Y.C", among others), but some are rather forgettable and force me to give this album "only" 4 stars.

There you go. My opinion in just two paragraphs. I wished Mr. Gabriel would have been able to do the same and make it shorter when he wrote this flawed masterpiece.

The T | 4/5 |