Alan Parsons Project - I Robot CD (album) cover

I ROBOT

Alan Parsons Project

friso
4 stars Alan Parsons Project is a band that alows you to get involved in progressive rock in a gentle way. At the time I bought this record I just had a vinyl record player and so the music of the '70 was to come. For that time I mostly listened to metal bands, but I was seeking for a new thrill.

The record starts of beatifull with symphonic sounds and a high female voice. Then the instrumental I Robot starts of. Great track recorded alongside with a beautifull choir. As mentioned a lot before me, the production is awsome! One slight difference from their debut is to be noticed; The production serves the music, instead of the music serving the production. On Tale of.. I though there had been too much interests in the production. On I Robot their is more eye for the song themselves.

I wouldn' want to be like you, the first song of the album rebuilds the tension build on the opening track. Slowly we get into a nice song wich is actually a bit simple, but it work pretty well. Nice and slow compositions. Some other time is a beatifull emotional song with again great symphonic amplification. You'll get carried away in this wall of sound coming to you!

Breakdown is a song that starts of normal. In the middle a new theme is introduced, later to be sung by a choir again. This makes the song rememberable. It's a strong catchy line: Freedom, freedom, we will not obay!. All the vocals are very clean and professional giving it a classic rock sound.

Don't let it show is one of my favourite APP songs. Again beatifull arangements and good vocals. Side two begins with The Voice wich is my least favourite part of the record. It's a bit to slow and not very interesting, but OK... it isn't a bad song. After this a kakaphony of sounds come out of your speakers. A psychadelic composition on a alan parsons record? Yes it happened. Though I don't find it a very beautifull track, it does make the next track Day after Day even better. It's a good introduction for a dreamy song like day after day. Just let me type you one verse of it:

Remember your daddy, when no one was wiser your ma use to say that you would go further then he ever would with time on your side

Somehow this song gives me hope. The nice keyboardpart on this song is peacefull and shapes a nice vibe very contrary to the previous composition. After this their is more room for experimentation and so Total Eclipse is born. This track is based on drums and synthisizors. Another psychedelic track but this time a bit more melodic. I like it. An ending is found in Genesis ch.1. v.32. A tracks that finishes the album and gives you the final ingredient: you've listened to a whole complete record. This is something I find very important. When my vinyl record has stopped and it feels like a movie is over or the final page of book is read. This give me great satisfaction.

In summary: great songs, great orchistrations, great vocals and some nice solo's. I think this record is even better then their debut. It's an album you'll get attached to. Four stars!

friso | 4/5 |