Pink Floyd - Animals CD (album) cover

ANIMALS

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

friso
3 stars The current high position in the PA top100 charts inspired me to write this review. For this album is overrated! Ok I agree, this is an accepteble Pink Floyd album, but is not even one among my top 5. Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, Relics, The Wall and maybe even Obscured by Clouds are better if you'd ask me.

So where do I start? Well first of all, the artwork is as ugly as can possible. This I can enjoy. The production is Ok, but a bit dreamy. Some more direct parts would have made this record a bit more realistic.

Side 1. Pigs on the Wing 1 is an ordinary popsong. The akoustic guitars are ok and vocals ain't bad but the song just doesn't work. It isn't very interesting. Then the long epic Dogs begins and my Pink Floyd feeling comes back. It's space, it's psychadelic and it has atmosphere. Nontheless it's a bit stretched out. I do like the keyboard solo and the main theme. Some other parts are a bit boring and the final part of the song (who was bor...) doesn't satisfy me too. Still it's a good Pink Floyd recording every fan should have.

Side 2. Pigs (Three Different Ones) is the worst song of the album. Is boring, repetitve and not so progressive. The main theme has a high ohno-don't-use-this-theme-again feeling. For it a standerd, it isn't the Pink Floyd I wish to listen to. Sheep is an pleasent surprise. The somehow jazzy piano intro with a wave feeling is gentle and a good intro for what is to come. When the song realy starts and the vocals are dropped some excitement is there! This is the real deal! It's an interesting composition exploited well with good amplification as we can expect from the Floyd. Some instrumental part in the middle complete the song and so the best song of this album is saved for the last.

An album that gives me a double feeling. Some moments are good, some are not so good. Maybe I just miss the real psychadelic sound Pink Floyd used to have before Dark Side of the Moon. This album is somehow suited for every livingroom, not only for the people who dare to travel threw musical experimentation. So, no other choise: Its good, but defenitly not essential and nog masterpiece. So, three stars.

friso | 3/5 |