Genesis - Nursery Cryme CD (album) cover

Genesis

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
4 stars The first album with the classic line-up

With this album Genesis fulfilled the promise of their previous album, and what in improvement it was! The wonderful guitar playing of the amazing Steve Hackett is here heard for the first time and so is Phil Collins expressive drumming and some wonderful vocals as well. The Musical Box is a masterpiece with very interesting Neo-Classical guitar and keyboard work. For Absent Friends is a very nice ballad sung by Phil. The Return Of The Giant Hogweed is this album's The Knife (or a better comparison: Battle Of Epping Forrest). Seven Stones is probably the song here that is most similar to the Trespass material in both sound, style and quality. Which means good, but not more than good.

Harold The Barrel is the only song on this album that I don't like very much. I find it a bit silly to be honest, and though it is clearly meant to be silly, I just don't seem to "get" it. Harlequin is a short and mellow song, it sounds a bit like a nursery rhyme. The album closer Fountain Of Salmacis it took me a long time to get into, but now I really like it.

Overall, a very good album. Highly recommended for any Prog collection.

SouthSideoftheSky | 4/5 |