Genesis - Foxtrot CD (album) cover

FOXTROT

Genesis

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
4 stars Great, but hardly insupperable!

Foxtrot is often held up among Genesis very best works, and although I basically agree with that, I can name at least four other Genesis albums that I prefer over Foxtrot. Indeed, I think that only Watcher Of The Skies and Horizons are truly up to the masterpiece standard here. The 20 minute plus Supper's Ready is usually considered a masterpiece, but though I find it very good, I consider it somewhat overrated! There are certainly great bits and pieces in it, but overall it lacks the unifying structure needed for such a long piece to really work. It is by no means up to the standard of masterpieces like Yes' Close To The Edge, Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick and ELP's Karn Evil 9.

Time Table is a nice but pretty straightforward piano driven song. Get 'Em Out By Friday is this album's Return Of The Giant Hogweed or Battle Of Epping Forrest and as such a very good one. The strangely titled Can-Utility And The Coastliners is another good mini-epic with several great passages. Horizons is a wonderful Steve Hackett acoustic instrumental that Steve has since played live a million times. It is brief and rather simple, but extremely effective.

Not the very best of Genesis, but a great album and clearly an excellent addition to any Prog collection

SouthSideoftheSky | 4/5 |