Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars This is probably the most overrated album of all time. It is a good album but I think it is not an essential addition to any prog collection. I just cannot see why anyone would want to mention this album (or any album by this band) in the same breath as Close to the Edge, Selling England by the Pound, In the Court of the Crimson King or other classic prog albums.

I think that the track On the Run is pretty representative of what I don't like about this album. What is the point of this track? It sounds a bit like a predecessor to modern dance music, with it's repetitive beat and programmed electronic meandering. I prefer the tracks where they actually play their instruments instead of relying on programmed patterns.

Another annoying think about this album is the samples; senseless spoken word passages, cash machines gone wild, insane laughs etc. I don't see the point of any of that, I'm afraid.

Dark Side of the Moon is good but hardly a masterpiece of progressive music.

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |