Pink Floyd - Animals CD (album) cover

Psychedelic/Space Rock

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
4 stars A quite different animal

Animals is in my opinion the first true Prog rock album Pink Floyd ever did. Meddle only had one really progressive song and Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here were still quite Psychedelic albums, rarely breaking away from traditional song structures. And also subsequent albums like The Wall had a more New Wave-ish sound to my ears.

David Gilmour is great on this album, as is Richard Wright. This is really a band effort despite the fact that Waters wrote almost all the material. A favourite moment is the guitar solos towards the end of Dogs with the keyboards and acoustic guitars backing up. It sounds great!

Much ink has been spilt on this album so I will not say very much. Great concept, great music - in my opinion the best Pink Floyd album (at least until the excellent Divisnion Bell)

Excellent addition to your Prog collection.

SouthSideoftheSky | 4/5 |