Marillion - Seasons End CD (album) cover

SEASONS END

Marillion

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
5 stars They've got their hooks in me too!

For me, Season's End is by far Marillion's best album. This is music that clearly has a strong meaning to those who made it and therefore to me as listener. Every single note is played and sung with such overflowing emotion, passion and instrumental expression that I have rarely heard in my life! This is a very beautiful and excellently executed album. The guitar work is absolutely exceptional throughout the whole album. When the guitar kicks in on The King Of Sunset Town, for example, I just cannot sit down, I have to get up and play air-guitar! And the drums on this very powerful opening salvo are excellent as well. As soon as the vocals set in it is clear that new guy Steve Hogarth is not a Fish sound-alike. I much prefer Hogarth to Fish and his vocal performance on this album is simply stunning!

Easter is an exceptionally beautiful song that could move you to tears. I have noticed that many songs connected to Ireland in some way or other usually are very emotional experiences for me. This might just be a personal thing since I lived in Ireland for a short while and I played this album a lot during that time (together with Camel's Harbour Of Tears album which also has a connection to Ireland). Anyway, Easter has a folky feel to it and brings to mind pictures of the beautiful Irish countryside. Again, the guitar solo at the end of the song is exceptional and very powerful.

The Uninvited Guest is more of a melodious Hard Rock song that perhaps wouldn't be overwhelmingly interesting standing on its own, but in the context of the other songs it works really well to make the album diverse and varied. Indeed, it is one of the strongest aspects of this album that it is varied, yet unified and very consistent. There is a good balance between acoustic and electric songs and between vocal and instrumental passages.

The title track is another beautiful and emotional song, again a very passionate vocal performance and lyrics. There are no weak tracks on this album, but Holloway Girl and Berlin slow things down a bit as they both share a similar mood. This is remedied towards the end, however, with the cute acoustic ballad After Me and the Pop Metal (!) song Hooks In You. Again, these songs would perhaps not be masterpiece songs in their own right, but they fit perfectly in between the other songs to break up the mellow mood of most of the material here. Then comes The Space which is, again, remarkably strong! Very impressive song and again moving and emotional like few other pieces of music I know! The guitar work is truly exceptional, as are the drums and the vocals and the lyrics and the keyboards and the bass and the production and the cover art...

I'm certainly not a big fan of Marillion or Neo-Prog general, but this album is a masterpiece to me. It is not really groundbreaking music, but it is extremely well made and performed with such overflowing passion for music and the subject matter of the music.

One of my favourite albums of all time!

SouthSideoftheSky | 5/5 |