Marillion - Misplaced Childhood CD (album) cover

Marillion

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars Somewhat misplaced general admiration for this album

This album is often considered to be the highlight of Marillion's discography. While I admit that it is in general better than the somewhat immature debut, Script For A Jester's Tear, I personally prefer both Clutching At Straws and, especially, Fugazi over Misplaced Childhood (but my all-time favourite Marillion albums are from the Hogarth-era with Seasons End standing out for me as the band's masterpiece).

There are some great moments on Misplaced Childhood for sure, but I have always had a hard time accepting the syrupy Kayleigh and the overly catchy Lavender. These two tracks are simply too sweet and commercial for my taste. The rest of the album though, is darker and more developed (more Fugazi-like) and appeals to me more.

Misplaced Childhood is admittedly a classic of the Neo-Prog genre, but it is not as great to my ears as people say it is.

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |