Genesis - Genesis CD (album) cover

GENESIS

Genesis

UMUR
3 stars This selftitled album is the twelfth studio album from Genesis. Itīs a step forward from the below average Abacab album from 1981 which IMO will always stand as one of the weakest Genesis albums. There are a few enjoyable songs on that one but not many. Genesis is a much better album and I was actually very surprised how much I like this one now as opposed to how I felt about it ten years ago when I was first introduced to it. It seems my taste has changed.

The music is similar to the music on Abacab in the respect that this is basically sophisticated keyboard dominated pop music and not progressive rock. There are progressive tendencies in some songs but pop music it is. The drums have a more artificial sound on Genesis as opposed to Abacab but itīs not a big problem IMO.

The album starts with Mama which is a slow building song that has lots of power and some intriguing keyboard moments. Phil Collins sings with lots of emotion on this one. Thatīs All is one of the semi-ballad songs on that album and allthough itīs not my favorite here itīs still a well composed track. Home By the Sea and Second Home By the Sea which is basically one song as the first seques into the latter is the best song here and one of the best Genesis songs with Phil Collins behind the mike. Beautiful song lines that moves me and intriguing arrangements. The second part has a good instrumental part.

Illegal Alien is a silly song where Phil Collins sings with spanish accent and makes fun of Illegal Alien clichés. I canīt say I enjoy this song much. The music isnīt that interesting either, but on the other hand I was never much into happy songs. Taking It All Too Hard is the second semi-ballad on the album and the best song here in that style. Itīs commercial but still beautiful IMO. Just A Job To Do is a good rocker ( well as much rock as Genesis is). Silver Rainbow is another great song with a good melody line. Iīm reminded of ...and Then There Was Three. It's Gonna Get Better ends the album as the third semi-ballad on Genesis and probably the worst. Iīm not too impressed.

The musicianship is great. The two dominant features on this album is Phil Collins voice and Tony Banks keyboards. The drums are pretty trivial and Michael Rutherfordīs efforts are overshadowed a bit by the two other gentlemenīs. His playing is of course good as always though.

The production is pretty warm for an eighties album even though the drums have a strange electronic sound.

Genesis is a good album and not at all the disappointment I remembered. This will never be as good as seventies Genesis material but less will do and this album fully deserves the 3 big stars Iīll rate it.

UMUR | 3/5 |