Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue CD (album) cover

Miles Davis

4 stars Listen to this and transport yourself back to the year 1959. I wasn't born yet myself, and you're talking about an era where progressive rock didn't yet exist. Miles Davis, however, was making progressive music and this is one of his masterpieces.

Miles moved on, as he always did, and became a major source of and inspiration for Jazz/Rock-Fusion musicians. None of the musicians on here ever went into prog rock territory though other than Miles, but this album is an important root for the J/R-F style, which Davis would soon veer off into much to the chagrin of the Jazz purists.

The tunes here were a staple for bands doing cover material at the many Piedmont Park free jazz festivals I went to as a teen. If I could only have one classic jazz album in my collection, this might be the one.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |