Devin Townsend - Accelerated Evolution (The Devin Townsend Band) CD (album) cover

ACCELERATED EVOLUTION (THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND)

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

Muzikman
4 stars I have many thoughts about the new Devin Townsend Band CD Accelerated Evolution. My first impression was "Why does this guy have to scream instead of sing?" Well, I had to be patient and let this CD play out. I found out that he does his share of both actually, and at times reminded me of Alice Cooper. Townsend has a great voice and I think if he exercised a little more restraint he would master his capabilities as a singer.

He proves to be nothing short of splendid towards the end of the album on "Away," "Sunday Afternoon," and "Slow Me Down." All three songs have their lighter moments and periods of pop lushness if you will. Do not be dismayed at the reference to pop or lushness, for the most part this is anything but. Those three particular songs happen to highlight the many abilities of this talented group of men. The lion's share of this recording is straight ahead head slammin' rock and prog-metal. With tracks like "Depth Charge," "Storm," and "Suicide," you certainly do not conjure up images of a lovely walk along the beach while plucking petals from a rose. This CD is all about high-energy music that keeps you buzzing for a long time.

Devin Townsend is the master of his universe and he is in some fine company in that realm. Brian Waddell (guitar, arranger), Ryan Vanpoederooven (drums arranger), Dave Young (keyboards, arranger) and Mike Young (bass, arranger) form a unified and lethal unit around Townsend's earth shattering vocal style. The one thing that struck me with accuracy right between the eyes was the consistency of this album. Everything about it is good . the musicianship, production, sound and engineering. Yes, this is an all-star cast performing on an unforgettable session and anyone that digs rock, metal, or progressive music, will surely agree once they hear this CD.

Muzikman | 4/5 |