Presto Ballet - The Lost Art of Time Travel CD (album) cover

THE LOST ART OF TIME TRAVEL

Presto Ballet

stewe
5 stars Story of this band/side project of guitarist Kurdt Vanderhoof reminds bit me of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. Like him, Kurdt changed the whole band, except for singer (who btw. - alike Ronnie Dio - when open his mouth, it is delight itself). Debut album of Presto Ballet, Peace Among the Ruins, was in my opinion one of the best prog/pomp rock hours released since gold times of seventies (Kansas, Yes, Rush, Styx..), with such real feeling for these times, I've probably never heard from modern band.

Its follow-up, The Lost Art of Time Travel is again in that fashion. No sequencers or samples, just pure, excellent music, based on extremely tasty and warm guitars licks, soaring vocals and harmonies of Scott Albright - who really shines brightly all around (how powerfully and with such emotion he hits the high notes is hardly believable). Great, often weird rhythm structures, hammond rides combined with piano swirls and real sounds of analog synths, walls of pedals, mellotrons, and various poly/mini-moog as trademarks of band's sound. While on the predecessor, songs differed one from other, here the songs themselves are more focused on inner variation.

Fantastic opener, The Mind Machine, has to be masterpiece for every musician/prog/rock fan. It's followed by Thieves, darker, powerful, driving tune even melancholic on places. You're Alive is shock in its sudden simplicity - one riff over the whole song H-A-H-E, on 12-string acoustic guitar, over which Scott stands out with poignant harmonies. Highlight is 14-minute heavenly tour-de-force One Tragedy at the Time with lot of powerful built-up melodies and rhythms alternating with dreamy layers and surfaces which take you above the clouds on the highest mountain ranges.

I'm not Blind is more straightforward, but beautifully crafted rocker with acoustic intro and romantic fade-out. On Easy Tomorrow we find combination of joyful piano and hard rocking performance. Closing Haze is tearful ending, slower, longer number. Yesish bass-lines, prominent mellow and acoustic, dreamy parts brings us conclusion with which one feel happy and sad together - strange, but magnificent. All in all second record of Presto Ballet is again very close to masterpiece, as I expected.

stewe | 5/5 |