Genesis - Invisible Touch CD (album) cover

INVISIBLE TOUCH

Genesis

UMUR
2 stars Invisible Touch is the thirteenth studio album from legendary symphonic prog rockers Genesis. By 1986 there weren´t many progressive or symphonic features left in Genesis music. Since entering the eighties Genesis had deliberately sought a more commercial sound and with Invisible Touch the circle was complete. This is essentially a pop album with very few progressive moments.

The album has three tracks that I enjoy. Land of COnfusion always brings back memories from my childhood and I can´t help liking this track. Domino is my favorite track here and certainly also the most progressive track on Invisible Touch with it´s 10:41 minutes. The last song on the album called The Brazilian is an intrumental and quite symphonic track which is also enjoyable yet not the most exciting instrumental Genesis ever made. The rest ? Well there a keyboard part in the middle section of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight that reminds me of the good old Genesis but that´s it. We´re unfortunately treated with pop clichés in songs like In Too Deep, Anything She Does, Invisible Touch and Throwing It All Away and this has great effect on my listening pleasure.

The musicianship is excellent as always even though Phil Collins drums sometimes sound like they were made on a drum machine.

The production is absolutely wonderful. Too bad the music isn´t of the same high quality.

Invisible Touch is one of the most famous pop albums from the eighties and if you ask any of your frinds that are not interested in progressive rock which Genesis album they have in their collection it´s likely to be Invisible Touch. For me as a prog head this album doesn´t hold much of interest but there are a few exciting moments I already mentioned above that saves Invisible Touch from complete failure in a prog world. The good songs are worth 3 stars while the bad ones would receive between 1 and 2 stars if I had to rate them seperately. As there are an overrepresentation of bad tracks on the album I´ll rate Invisible Touch 2 stars. If you´re interested in the progressive side of Genesis ( and of course you are. Why else should you be here?) this along side Abacab should be one of the last albums from Genesis you should purchase.

UMUR | 2/5 |