Presto Ballet - The Lost Art of Time Travel CD (album) cover

THE LOST ART OF TIME TRAVEL

Presto Ballet

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars I utterly agree with Scott´s review of this album. I too was not quite impressed by Presto Ballet´s first album (good, ok, but nothing special) and I wouldn´t give their second album a chance if I hadn´t read his praisings. And I was astonished by what I heard. The mix of heavy guitars (70´s style), Rick Wakeman-like keyboards and some amazing harmonies and acoustic guitars that remind me of many groups of that era (like a cross between Seals And Crofts and Yes) might sound odd, but it really works. Somehow mr Vanderhoof & co caught the spirit of the 70´s prog rock and still managed to deliver something unique. They are not copycats. Crossover prog indeed!

I was really surprised that Vanderhoof, who was the leader of 80´s thrasers Metal Church, could do something so interesting and progressive (and away from heavy metal, that is). The band is tight, the singer is a gifted man with a versatile voice that works all the time, the arrangements are tasteful and the songwriting is superb. There are no fillers at all: all songs are very good! The title track is a classic. Production is also top notch. In all, everything works.

One of the nicest surprises I had this year. Everyone who loves classic prog rock should give this album a try. Warning: quite addictive! 4,5 stars.

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |