Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane CD (album) cover

REMEDY LANE

Pain Of Salvation

ZowieZiggy
2 stars Their previous album The Perfect Element combined fine progressive and metal music: it was my fave amongst of their output so far.

When I listened to this album for the first time, I was a bit disappointed. The first trio of songs is rather thin, and one has to wait the very good "Trace Of Blood" to discover the first true great song of the album. It owes a lot to "Dream Theater" though, but this is not the first time that this relation can be stressed.

The rock ballad "This Heart Of Mine" is the occasion for Daniel to demonstrate how good a vocalist he is. The classic guitar break to close this song is also well polished (even if very predictable in this genre). The mellowish other one available on this record is much less brilliant ("Second Love").

This album clearly puts their prog characteristics into brackets and features a heavier angle ("Undertow", "Rope Ends") and when the band is trying a more acoustic style ("Chain Sling" or the instrumental "Dryad.") they are not quite convincing.

This album has a lot of five and four star ratings (even if only twenty % of the reviews available are commented) but I'm afraid I won't be as generous. Actually, this is my least favourite album from POS so far (you might know that I review a band in the chronological order). Average to my ears. I am downgrading it to two stars because there is really only one outstanding track in here, as far as I am concerned.

ZowieZiggy | 2/5 |