Cathedral - The Bridge CD (album) cover

THE BRIDGE

Cathedral

Menswear
2 stars Better late than never?

After almost 30 years, Cathedral is back...and I could've live without it. I read so much praised, I had to listen and verify by myself. What I founded was not my cup of tea, but really not!

What's wrong with this record? Well, as a start, it maybe me. Maybe my progressive heart has not being tendered enough, but all those unsipid solos or mellotron-single-chord-playing are giving me a rash. I mean, it's probably fun for guitarist to copy David Gilmour over and over, but it does not mean that it's melodic nor catchy. And the voice is so useless, it could make Caravan pass for Pavarotti.

Talking about melody: this record is lacking some song logic big time. Most of the time, it's not really going anywhere. You have an acoutic guitar solo, then so much mellotron it's getting annoying and after that a synth-chorus and then...and then...it goes on without going nowhere fast. The songs are simply not standing on their own legs. Okay, go on and be original or dark, but GO SOMEWHERE! Don't just 'cut- paste' all your ideas, this is still not a song!

Kithara Interludium is instrumental. Okay, the same problem is back, still going hazardly somewhere. I guess the key is listening, and listening and listening again.

Listen before buying and oh, it did bore the heck out of...of...zzzzzz.

Menswear | 2/5 |