THE BRIDGE

Cathedral The Bridge album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy CATHEDRAL Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Monsterhead Suite: parts 1, 2 & 3 (13:21)
2. Satellite (5:00)
3. Hollins (9:54)
4. Kithara Interludium (6:28)
5. Angular World (7:11)
6. The Lake (5:11)
7. The Secret (11:33)

Search CATHEDRAL The Bridge lyrics

Search CATHEDRAL The Bridge tabs

- Fred Callan / bass guitar, Taurus pedals, backing vocals
- David Doig / acoustic & electric guitars
- Paul Seal / lead vocals, percussion
- Mercury Caronia IV / drums, gongs, bells, various electronic percussion, backing vocals
- Tom Doncourt / mellotron, other keyboards, theremin, percussion, flute

Self-released

Thanks to avestin for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

CATHEDRAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Gong Stained Glass Stories, 1978

Buy CATHEDRAL The Bridge Music

Ethereal MirrorEthereal Mirror
Earache Records 1996
Vicki Yohe - Reveal Your Glory: Live From The Cathedral CD US $20.37 Buy It Now 36m 18s
Michael Collins Cathedral Strings - Melodies That Will Last Forever - 33SX1371 US $5.07 Buy It Now 47m 52s
BARRY ROSE christmas carols from guildford cathedral LP PS EX/EX US $15.23 Buy It Now 1h
Cathedral Choir, 1st Pres Church of Hollywood-Double LP Charles Hirt, Ultra Rare US $12.95 [0 bids]
CATHEDRAL.THE ETHEREAL MIRROR.LP 1993.BLUE VINYL. ORIGINAL. US $169.99 [0 bids]
The Golden Age of English Cathedral Music WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL CHOIR/ NEARY NM US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
CASSETTE TAPE CARLOS FROM WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL 1982 MUSICAL HERITAGE SOCIETY OOP US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
William Whitehead The Great Organ Washington Cathedral CD Resmiranda 8004 1989 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
BARRY ROSE christmas carols from guildford cathedral LP PS EX/EX US $15.23 Buy It Now 2h 2m
= CAROLS FROM WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL CD Japan Press excellent condition US $9.13 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Music Royal Occasion - St Paul's Cathedral Choir & Organ - Barry Rose (LP) US $5.07 Buy It Now 2h 11m
ZK 3 - ENGLISH CATHEDRAL MUSIC GUEST St John's College Cambridge - Ex LP Record US $10.17 Buy It Now 2h 36m
ALLAN WICKS ORGAN THE ORGAN IN CANTERBURY CATHEDRAL LP RECORD VINYL EX/EX 20 US $16.93 Buy It Now 2h 42m
FRANCIS JACKSON THE ORGAN YORK MINSTER CATHEDRAL LP RECORD VINYL EX/EX 20 US $16.93 Buy It Now 2h 44m
M- NM THE CATHEDRAL COLLECTION VOLUME 1 VINYL LP WITH GERALD WOLF US $40.00 Buy It Now 2h 45m
LIONEL DAKERS THE ORGAN ORGANIST EXETER CATHEDRAL LP RECORD VINYL EX/EX 20 US $16.93 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Nicolas Kynaston - Jongen, Franck, Vierne - Westminster Cathedral - CRMS843 (LP) US $6.76 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Nicolas Kynaston - Organ Music Max Reger - Westminster Cathedral - CRMS851 (LP) US $6.76 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Noel Rawsthorne - Organ Spectacular - Coventry Cathedral - EL2701651 (LP) US $11.84 Buy It Now 2h 53m
VICTORIA "REQUIEM MASS" (OFFICIUM DEFUNCTORUM) WESTMINSTER CATHEDRAL DAVID HILL US $8.12 Buy It Now 3h
Scottish Fiddle Orchestra - Highland Cathedral [CD New] US $15.29 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Bach,J.S. - Cathedral For Bach [CD New] US $14.32 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Organ Of Chester Cathedral Vol 2 - Roger Fisher - SQUAD112 (LP) US $11.84 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Organ Of Durham Cathedral - Conrad Eden - VICS1665 (LP) US $11.84 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Scottish Serenade Highland Cathedral Jacobite Sword Dance etc Scotland CD US $11.00 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Organ Ripon Cathedral - Ronald Perrin - 1300th Anniversary - RCA - VICS1641 (LP) US $11.84 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Organ St Paul's Cathedral - Christopher Dearnley - Guild - GRSP7011 -Stereo (LP) US $5.07 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Jerusalem (CD, Oct-1991, PolyGram) Winchester Cathedral Choir US $0.99 [0 bids]
cathedral anniversary t shirt metal doom black death mortiis candlemass burzum US $13.00 Buy It Now 3h 34m
cathedral anniversary t shirt metal doom black death mortiis candlemass burzum US $18.00 Buy It Now 3h 34m
45 RECORD CATHEDRAL OF TOMORROW-THE LORD'S PRAYER PIC/SLEEVE MINT US $2.69 Buy It Now 4h 16m
CATHEDRAL - THE GARDEN OF UNEARTHLY DELIGHTS - MASSCDDG1459 US $20.49 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Cathedral Singers : God Comes Tomorrow CD (2001) US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 25m
MENDELSSOHN, FELIX - CHRISTMAS AT AMERICA'S FIRST CATHEDRAL - NEW DVD US $13.43 Buy It Now 5h 27m
GRAND MAGUS - ST 1ST CD on RISE ABOVE. CATHEDRAL, SHEAVY, CLUTCH, BLACK SABBATH US $25.00 [0 bids]
Williams:humns and Choral Music - Cathedral Worcester New & Sealed CD Free Shipp US $15.46 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Cathedral Quartet The Cathedrals The Best Of Times 1991 CD US $31.50 Buy It Now 6h 3m
THE NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND - WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL 7" VINYL US $6.76 Buy It Now 6h 13m
THE NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND - WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL 7" VINYL US $6.76 Buy It Now 6h 14m
THE NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND - WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL / PEEK-A-BOO 7" VINYL US $7.61 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Introducing The Cathedral Trio (Vinyl LP, Rare 1963 debut LP) US $9.98 [0 bids]
A Choral Christmas by Canterbury Cathedral Choir (CD, Sep-2002, Avalon Records) US $6.00 Buy It Now 7h 5m
THE CATHEDRAL QUARTET ( OH, WHAT A LOVE ) GOSPEL LP US $1.79 [0 bids]
Scott Choir Of St. Pauls Cathedral - Epiphany At St Pauls CD US $15.55 Buy It Now 8h 17m
E. Elgar - Cathedral Music CD US $15.55 Buy It Now 8h 17m
PLACE OF SKULLS With Vision PATCH PENTAGRAM TROUBLE SAINT VITUS CATHEDRAL US $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Cathedral - Guessing Game - Limited Edition - NB2276-0 US $16.96 Buy It Now 8h 25m
BOX SET 2 CD'S UNOPENED~DR ROBERT SCHULLER~THE BEST MESSAGES~CRYSTAL CATHEDRAL US $5.99 [0 bids]
Tomkins: Cathedral Music - Judd; Robinson HYPERION SEALED US $23.99 Buy It Now 8h 49m
THE NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND Winchester cathedral LP POP EASY US $6.76 Buy It Now 8h 52m
Gaughan Dick - Redwood Cathedral NEW CD US $16.06 Buy It Now 8h 56m
THE WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL CHOIR Christmas Carols From UK Vinyl LP EXCELLENT COND US $8.46 Buy It Now 9h 2m
THE NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND Winchester Cathedral / Wait For me Baby 45 1966 Fontana US $2.75 Buy It Now 9h 7m
45 LP (JUKEBOX) DANA ROLLIN , WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL AND PATTY'S DAD US $1.00 [0 bids]
Bruckner Mass No 3 In F Minor Forster Saint St. Hedwig's Cathedral record 33 LP US $14.41 Buy It Now 9h 55m
THE NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL LP FONTANA WITH SHRINK IT IS OPEN US $12.99 [0 bids]
Concert, Crystal Cathedral Choir, , Very Good US $28.34 Buy It Now 10h 25m
VIRUS Embroidered Logo PATCH Cathedral Voivod Coroner Thrash Metal US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 36m
Christmas Concert St. Paul's Cathedral Choir US $0.99 [0 bids]
New Vaudeville Band "Winchester Cathedral" (M) US $11.99 Buy It Now 10h 52m
Chorus of St. Hedwigs Cathedral Berlin "Bach: Motet" 33 RPM Mace Records M9016 US $5.95 [0 bids]
Noel Rawsthorne - The King Of Instruments LP Liverpool Cathedral Organ US $9.00 Buy It Now 10h 54m
Jackson Berkey "Sunken Cathedral" US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 4m
CATHEDRAL.THE ETHEREAL MIRROR.LP 1993. UK PRESS ORIGINAL w SHEET.BLACK VINYL. US $139.99 Buy It Now 11h 5m
CATHEDRAL - The carnival bizarre CD 1995 ORG Earache OOP Trouble Doom US $7.00 [0 bids]
Saint Patrick's Cathedral Choir Vinyl Record LP Sings Christmas Carols US $7.99 [0 bids]
Organ Spectacular; Hill, Organ of Westminster Cathedral [IMP Classics] IMPORT CD US $1.99 Buy It Now 11h 58m
Organ Showpieces from St Paul's Cathedral By Théodore Dubois, César Franck, Eug US $8.41 Buy It Now 12h 24m
Crystal Cathedral Academy Children's Choir *Celebrate* CD US $2.00 [0 bids]
Saint-Saens Worcester Cathedral Choir Roy Massey Import Argo LP US $12.00 Buy It Now 12h 45m
NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND - WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL NEW CD US $27.84 Buy It Now 13h 3m
ORGAN SPECTACULAR WESTMINSTER CATHEDRAL DAVID HALL CD ALBUM EXC US $8.46 Buy It Now 13h 14m
THE NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND THE ORIGINAL HIT! WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL 12 inch vinyl 33L US $3.99 [0 bids]
Cathedrals - Cathedral Classics [CD New] US $17.74 Buy It Now 13h 26m
BISHOP JERRY L. MAYN - BISHOP JERRY L. MAYNARD PRESENTS THE CATHEDRAL - NEW CD US $14.25 Buy It Now 13h 33m
Cathedral: The Ethereal Mirror CD 1996 Bonus Tracks Earache Records MOSH77CD NEW US $10.95 Buy It Now 13h 42m
REGER vol 10 ORGAN TRIER Cathedral (Klais) FREU DICH etc 80 mins US $5.02 [0 bids]
ERNIE HAASE & SIGNATURE SOUND - TRIBUTE TO THE CATHEDRAL QUARTET NEW CD US $23.22 Buy It Now 14h 2m
LAWRENCE WELK'S WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL LP ALBUM RECORD 12" RANWOOD STEREO RE-ISSUE US $8.99 [0 bids]
ORGAN SPECTACULAR Noel Rawsthorne Coventry Cathedral Vinyl LP HMV EL 27 0165 1 US $16.93 Buy It Now 14h 9m
THE CATHEDRAL QUARTET...YOU AIN'T HEARD NOTHING YET Classic Gospel LP US $5.25 [0 bids]
THE CATHEDRAL QUARTET...SOMEBODY LOVES ME Classic Gospel LP US $7.50 [4 bids]
CHOIR OF EXETER CATHEDRAL Christmas Carols Vinyl LP Music For Pleasure MFP1321 US $15.23 Buy It Now 14h 32m
MULET FIOCCO WIDOR BACH REGER COCKER BOSSI Tracey ORGAN Liverpool Cathedral US $5.69 [0 bids]
Festival of Carols 20 Guildford Cathedral St Paul's WestminsterAbbey Vinyl LP US $13.54 Buy It Now 14h 35m
CHEVAL SOMBRE - Someplace Else. rare UK CD (Sonic Cathedral, Buy 3 = Free P US $1.68 Buy It Now 14h 37m
WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL- NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND LP- VG+/VG+ CONDITION US $5.99 [0 bids]
Peter Sarstedt : I am a Cathedral : Audition USA 1968 7" US $6.74 Buy It Now 14h 40m
MAGNIFICAT & NUNC DIMITTIS 18Peterborough Cathedral KELLY WOOD VANN WEST PURCELL US $5.69 [1 bids]
There in the Shadows by Cathedral (CD, May-1999, Kinesis Inc.) US $9.99 [0 bids]
NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND/winchester cathedral/ 1966 45 US $5.99 Buy It Now 14h 57m
CATHEDRALS - CATHEDRAL CLASSICS NEW CD US $23.22 Buy It Now 15h 14m
Great Tudor Anthems, Worcester Cathedral Choir, Good US $11.44 Buy It Now 15h 27m
THE CATHEDRAL QUARTET...."JESUS IS COMING SOON".....OOP HTF NEW SEALED GOSPEL LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 15h 46m
MUSIC FROM THE WASHINGTON CATHEDRAL LP PAUL CALLAWAY DIRECTOR VG++ US $4.99 [0 bids]
Clemencic: Art Dir/Clemenc-Cathedral Sounds CD NEW US $9.08 Buy It Now 15h 50m
Seal/Salisbury Cathedral Chr-Anthems from Salisbury CD NEW US $17.19 Buy It Now 15h 50m

More places to buy CATHEDRAL music online Buy CATHEDRAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CATHEDRAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CATHEDRAL The Bridge ratings distribution

CATHEDRAL The Bridge reviews

Review by bhikkhu
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Team
5 stars Talk about procrastination. I think these guys hold the record. I mean it only took them almost three decades to record a follow up to their 1978 debut. Honestly, you have got to give CATHEDRAL a lot of credit. "Stained Glass Stories" may have garnered critical acclaim, but it wasn't exactly a huge hit. However, renewed interest in it did cause a reformation. So, what can you expect from a band that only recorded one obscure album, and waited this long to do it again? Will they sound the same? Will they even be any good at all? Well, the answers are no, and a resounding yes. They have come back sounding as if they have been at it all along, evolving along the way. If I were not familiar with them, I would be thinking that I was hearing the latest album from a band with a long recording history. Where bands that have been recording for decades sound a bit stale (*cough* Yes), CATHEDRAL sounds fresh, and of the time. There is still a strong King Crimson influence, but it is latter day KC. There is mellotron, but it is being used in the spirit of present day artists like Deluge Grander. Amazingly, they have accomplished this with the lineup mostly intact, having made only one change in personnel.

They did follow a bit of the original formula, by book ending the album with epics. However, this time the opener and closer are musically unrelated. What they have done is created modern symphonic greatness. The blending of old and new techniques works flawlessly. The playing is as good as it gets, and the compositions demand recognition.

"The Monsterhead Suite" is an epic melange of beauty and quirky darkness. It will also give you your mellotron fix for the next month.

"Satellite" may be catchy, but don't worry. It's the kind of catchy thing that prog fans love. In other words, you friends will still think it's weird.

"Hollins" takes you into a bit of space territory, but there is also an almost flamenco style guitar running through most of it. When electric, you can hear a bit of Gilmour influence. The vocal is melancholy, and serves the piece well.

"Kithara Interludium" is a beautiful acoustic number (Hackett anyone?).

"Angular World" is just what the name implies. This is full on modern King Crimson territory.

"The Lake" starts with a strong World Music vibe and then gradually transforms. By the end, it is firmly in symphonic land, but never quite loses that world essence.

"The Secret" is the closing epic, and the feet are now firmly planted in the new millennium. I mentioned Deluge Grander before, and I don't know if they have been listening to Dan Briton's stuff or not. If they haven't, then they have been listening to the same stuff that influenced Dan. Here CATHEDRAL clearly establishes itself as a band of the present.

It's called the "The Bridge" to refer to the gap that was bridged between albums. Not only have they done that, but they have also bridged the evolutionary gap. This is a fantastic album, and stands completely on it's own from their previous work. I love them both, and I would if were two different bands (it almost sounds as if it is). CATHEDRAL has made an extremely strong new beginning, and this time prog is on the upswing. I look forward to more. This one will be on my list for best of 2007.

H.T. Riekels

Send comments to bhikkhu (BETA) | Report this review (#150791) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Review by UMUR
4 stars Releasing your sophmore album 29 years after your debut is a pretty rare thing but never the less this is what Cathedral have done. I found Cathedralīs debut to be really exciting allthough it was very unpolished and even though many things have happened in 29 years itīs easy to hear that this is the same band playing. The King Crimson influences are still strong but mostly because Paul Seal sounds a bit like Wetton. Paul Seal is a much better singer than Wetton though. I can also hear influences from Genesis here and there. This is retro prog without a doubt.

The music is very complex with many sections in every song. Especially songs like Monsterhead and Hollins have many different parts. Itīs not like the tempo is very high though itīs more the structure of the songs which are complex. There are some really fast played guitar notes though. All the songs are easily memorable and itīs nice to hear that Cathedral even though they are a retro prog rock band are able to make original music. Kithara Interludium does stand out from the rest of the songs as it is a classical acoustic guitar suite. Itīs very competently played but I think it is a bit too long. As a fan of early seventies prog rock Iīm happy to hear that the mellotron is used extensively on The Bridge. It gives the music a very symphonic lift that I greatly appreciate. This was also the case on Cathedralīs debut.

The musicians needs to be mentioned as this is one of the best performances I have heard in a long time. These guys know how to play their instruments. As a guitarist myself I am awe strucken when listening to David Doigīs playing. That man plays some great guitar parts. Singer Paul Seal has developed his voice since the debut and allthough he will never be my favorite singer I think he has personality and does a great job here. The rythm section is pretty prominent and especially the bass from Fred Callan is very loud in the soundscape. Both Fred Callan and drummer Mercury Caronia IV does a great job here. The keyboard player Tom Doncourt is the main reason why this sounds retro. He uses vintage keyboards a lot. He mostly plays background notes to support the vocal melody and the guitar. I love vintage keyboard sounds so to me this is great.

The sound quality could have been better but The Bridge is self produced and if you think about that the production is allright. The drums and the bass which is way too high in the mix annoy me though. For the life of me I cannot understand why a band of Cathedralīs caliber canīt get a record contract so they can get a good sound ? The progressive record companies should be lined up trying to get Cathedralīs signature.

This was a pleasant surprise for me as I didnīt expect too much from a band that hasnīt released anything in 29 years. I expected them to sound tired and old, another pathetic attempt to relive their youth, but instead Cathedral has grown considerably as musicians and composers and we get this excellent album that I will rate 4 big stars. Had the production been really good I might have given this one 5. Itīs highly recommendable though. One of the best symphonic prog rock albums released in recent years to my recollection.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#165248) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 28, 2008

Review by Menswear
2 stars Better late than never?

After almost 30 years, Cathedral is back...and I could've live without it. I read so much praised, I had to listen and verify by myself. What I founded was not my cup of tea, but really not!

What's wrong with this record? Well, as a start, it maybe me. Maybe my progressive heart has not being tendered enough, but all those unsipid solos or mellotron-single-chord-playing are giving me a rash. I mean, it's probably fun for guitarist to copy David Gilmour over and over, but it does not mean that it's melodic nor catchy. And the voice is so useless, it could make Caravan pass for Pavarotti.

Talking about melody: this record is lacking some song logic big time. Most of the time, it's not really going anywhere. You have an acoutic guitar solo, then so much mellotron it's getting annoying and after that a synth-chorus and then...and then...it goes on without going nowhere fast. The songs are simply not standing on their own legs. Okay, go on and be original or dark, but GO SOMEWHERE! Don't just 'cut- paste' all your ideas, this is still not a song!

Kithara Interludium is instrumental. Okay, the same problem is back, still going hazardly somewhere. I guess the key is listening, and listening and listening again.

Listen before buying and oh, it did bore the heck out of...of...zzzzzz.

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#184348) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Review by debrewguy
2 stars After finally hearing Stained Class Stories in all its' derivative splendour, i couldn't wait to get to this album. Monsterhead starts off promising - acoustic guitar ... then Anglagard with an American singer ? Did King Crimson dump their out-takes on Cathedral with the proviso that they not be as heavy as recent KC output ? O.K. , skip that one. Satellite ... gets me thinking that I'm sure I've heard of a Neo-prog group by that name. There is one. That fact is about the only thing that stands out for this song. ANd yes, likely it's unintended, but it does come off like Neo. Bad Neo. All synth washes, and guitar solos & fills with heavy doses of delay. I'm starting to notice that often, the mellotron or synths seem to appear regularly almost as backing vocals on much of the singing - da da de da da synth wash ... Hollins - and today students, we'll apply our textbook theory and build a modern prog composition. Your recent case studies of Neo-prog, Swedish scene, and mellotron should provide you ample material to construct a passing grade tune. Kudos to those who have come up with the idea of inserting the word angular while playing Anglagard like passages. Kithara Interludium - now class, one of the standard components of a Prog album is the inclusion of an acoustic or classical guitar composition. It is never a bad idea to include overt & covert melodic ideas from some of the classical canons' best melodies. You may want to refer to Steve Howe's occasional forays into this field to come up with ideas. Now unlike Mr. Howe, I will not expect you to introduce other musical genres into your playing. Angular World - did I mention that they use the word angular at the same time that they play an angular melody ? The Lake - the bottom of which this CD is going to end up in. Why would they bother ripping off So era Gabriel and do it this badly ? The Secret - is that their next album will be a self financed vanity project. If I touch your lips with my fingertips, hush my child, we'll just dream a while. And I'd given up on seeing signs of originality ! Truly, for those who enjoyed the debut, and might be looking at picking this up, do yourself a favour - choose an Anglagard album, or go to Pendragon's Pure. Sometimes, memories are best left alone.

Send comments to debrewguy (BETA) | Report this review (#201541) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars It's been years and years since Cathedral released their "Stained Glass Stories" album, an obscure symphonic prog album that went unnoticed by the big audiences of the late 70s but eventually became a collector's item for prog fans all over the world from the 90s onward. That album had set the standard of Cathedral's as one heavily influenced by 73-75 Yes, plus touches of Gabriel-era Genesis' melodic sense. Now, with almost the entire original line-up reformed, Cathedral created yet another beautiful repertoire of old fashioned symphonic prog rock encapsulated in the album "The Bridge". It is clearly defined under the usual rules of melodic richness, orchestral feel and long development of themes, but the Cathedral guys proficiently elude the traps of cloning (or self-cloning). "The Bridge" bears a very modern vibe to it, with a more agile set of instrumental arrangements and a tighter sense of rocking power. All who got to know and appreciate classic Cathedral perhaps will miss the first album's density that made it so special in its eerie beauty, and also will miss the use of a more powerful rhythmic foundation in the tracks' frameworks, but it is all in the balance between what is gone and what is new in this band's second era. None of these albums is perfect, but both have their own virtues. There is also a tendency to avoid the saturation of keyboard inputs, which helps Cathedral to become as tiring as the renewed Kaipa or Kayak can be at times. The 3-part 'Monsterhead Suite' kicks off the album with cosmic textures, soon developed into clear Yessian moods (never playing the "Starcastle card"). The guitars are prominent in the soloing department, while the keyboards are mostly busy elaborating orchestrations and layers. The mood shifts flow nicely, filling the 13+ minute musical journey with pleasant melodies and harmonic structures. The follower 'Satellite' bears a rockier punch, which makes it a bit catchier - yet, the use of weird melodic progressions keeps the track from being easy listening, particularly the dissonant elements that shape the guitar inputs and the Gentle Giant-ish keyboard flows. Even though this piece is not really that disturbing, its use of some weird ornaments is fully appreciated. 'Hollins' opens up with new cosmic textures (including a mellotronic choir), followed by a Hackett-style set of classical guitar chops. Once the main motif is settled down, the band creates a good balance of controlled complexity and tricky simplicity. The next track also gives special room for the classical guitar's flourishes: in the end, it is a very Baroque-inspired piece. 'Angular World', to some degree, picks up where 'satellite' had left, but all in all it gains a greater benefit from the longer expansion of its motifs. The explosive guitar solo delivered somewhere in the middle provides a special dose of intensity among the album's general moods. 'The Lake', in comparison, states a more mysterious vibe, with plenty of exotic colors: on the other hand, it is related to the framework that the band utilized for the preceding track. 'The Secret' is the album's closer, filling the last 11 ― minutes: as a compositional work, it is the most ambitious piece in the album, bringing the most colorful set of musical ideas to the fold. A special mention goes to the Theremin, provider of spacey interludes in the whole architecture of keyboards: the closing passage states a reminder of the good old "Stained Glass" days. The general ups and downs that I personally find in this album have been mentioned earlier - considering how much each individual track has impressed me, I regard "The Bridge" as a very good album, full of beauty and cleverly elaborated textures: in other words, yet another triumph by Cathedral.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#209302) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009

Review by progpositivity
3 stars Although its cosmic and symphonic elements probably make 1969-1970 King Crimson a more accurate reference point, I find much of this music surprisingly reminiscent of some of Adrian Belews 80's work with Talking Heads (except with many more moods, tempos, and arrangements).

Vocals are strong throughout, often evocative of (a more precise version of) John Wetton. In rare sensitive moments, however, they sound oddly similar to Gabriel-era Genesis. There is a certain restrained, non-heavy, non-metallic vibe that may come across as a lack of urgency and low level of energy to some listeners. That said, The Bridge has much worthy of recognition and appreciation: dramatic flair, varied symphonic arrangements, tastefully angular guitar, bass lines which are actually meaningful within the compositions. Unfortunately, the ability to appreciate them is to some extent dependent upon one's ability to disassociate this album from Cathedral's classic 1978 debut, a feat which some prog fans may have no desire to attempt and one which the majority of the remainder may find difficult to accomplish.

If this band is guilty of anything, however, it is perhaps only the transgression of actually trying to catch lightning in bottle a second time after all these years. Even so, I respect them for having the courage to 'give it a go' in a new and different way this time around - so many years after their beloved debut. Recommended.

Send comments to progpositivity (BETA) | Report this review (#1148487) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 15, 2014

2 stars I almost wrote a two star review of this album half a year ago. I thought better off it and I hoped I was going to find something of any value if I gave it another six months. I was wrong. This band does not need any introduction. Their Stained Glass album thirty years ago is rightly regard ... (read more)

Report this review (#248342) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, November 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Really no-one can enter the same water twice. But seriously great is the work made by these musicians. Although no connection is visible (hearable) to the Stained Glass Stories made so long ago, sound is quite pretty, easy acceptable and contemporary indeed. Real prog-music for the 2007! Listening ... (read more)

Report this review (#147836) | Posted by sole-survivor | Sunday, October 28, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is not Stained Glass Stories II although the band is totally recognizable. The recording is much better than the first album, obvious that they had a bigger budget this time. The new guitarist is fine- I think he has a more original sound than the first guy. Love the songs and think the band ... (read more)

Report this review (#140118) | Posted by jellotron | Sunday, September 23, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CATHEDRAL "The Bridge"