THE BRIDGE

Cathedral The Bridge album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy CATHEDRAL Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Monsterhead Suite: parts 1, 2 & 3 (13:21)
2. Satellite (5:00)
3. Hollins (9:54)
4. Kithara Interludium (6:28)
5. Angular World (7:11)
6. The Lake (5:11)
7. The Secret (11:33)

Search CATHEDRAL The Bridge lyrics

Search CATHEDRAL The Bridge tabs

- Fred Callan / bass guitar, Taurus pedals, backing vocals
- David Doig / acoustic & electric guitars
- Paul Seal / lead vocals, percussion
- Mercury Caronia IV / drums, gongs, bells, various electronic percussion, backing vocals
- Tom Doncourt / mellotron, other keyboards, theremin, percussion, flute

Self-released

Thanks to avestin for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

CATHEDRAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Gong Stained Glass Stories, 1978

Buy CATHEDRAL The Bridge Music

The Choir of Canterbury Cathedral : A Canterbury Christmas CD (1998) US $10.00 Buy It Now 56m 6s
Christmas Carols 1958 St. Paul's Cathedral Choir & St.Margaret's All Boys Choir US $0.99 [0 bids]
59m 27s
REX HUMBARD Cathedral of Tomorrow 17th Anniversary BLACK GOSPEL LP Record US $24.00 [0 bids]
59m 52s
Westminster Cathedral Orchestra Silver Bells CD US $7.48 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Reunion by The Cathedral Quartet (Jan-1994, K-Tel)VHS US $14.99 [0 bids]
Cathedral of Tomorrow Seasons Greetings from Rex Humbard US $4.94 [0 bids]
FIREHOUSE FIVE PLUS TWO: Winchester Cathedral/Mame (jazz vinyl 45) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Rex Humbard and the Cathedral Singers in Hawaii US $1.95 [0 bids]
NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND, THE: Winchester Cathedral/Wait For Me Baby (rock vinyl 45) US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND, THE: Winchester Cathedral/Peek-A-Boo (rock VG+ vinyl 45) US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 38m
CASTANETS Cathedral 2004 near mint Asthmatic Kitty label US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Winchester Cathedral New Vaudeville Band LP MGF27560 US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Cathedral Forest Of Equilibrium 1991 Relativity Earache Records US $11.99 [0 bids]
The New Vaudeville Band Winchester Cathedral LP NM SRF-67560 Fontana US $22.95 Buy It Now 2h 21m
The Cathedral Trio - Rare 1963 LP, before they became a quartet. Price reduced! US $85.00 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Cathedral : Soul Sacrifice/Statik Majik CD (1999) US $13.46 Buy It Now 2h 28m
NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND, THE: Winchester Cathedral mono US $14.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
St. Paul's Cathedral Choir - Christmas Concert - Stereo - Mount Vernon - MVSC-1 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Rex Humbard "Cathedral Of Tomorrow" Weatherford Quartet Cathedral Trio US $12.00 [0 bids]
JEANNE DEMESSIEUX - THE ENGLISH CATHEDRAL SERIES VOL. 16 - NEW CD US $18.11 Buy It Now 2h 46m
CATHEDRAL - The carnival bizarre CD 1995 ORG Earache OOP Trouble Doom US $7.00 [0 bids]
Cathedral Chimes - Dr. Charles Kendall. Dot Records DLP-3101. US $5.00 [0 bids]
YSENGRIN - To Endotaton CD Candlemass Paradise Lost Asphyx Delirium Cathedral US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
CARLOS CAMPOS-WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL-MEXICAN EP 7" boogaloo cumbia cha beat US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 58m
The Original Hit! Winchester Cathedral The New Vauderville Band Album US $7.70 Buy It Now 3h 58m
New Vaudeville Band mono LP Winchester Cathedral US $5.49 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Cathedral Quartet - Welcome To Our World US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 29m
CATHEDRAL**LAST SPIRE (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $26.95 Buy It Now 4h 56m
OSLO CATHEDRAL CHOIR Tefje Kvam CD RARE IMPORT US $11.24 Buy It Now 5h 3m
PARRY, CHARLES HUBER - I WAS GLAD: CATHEDRAL MUSIC BY PARRY - NEW CD US $20.46 Buy It Now 6h 31m
THE NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL 12" RECORD 33 US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 17m
CHRISTMAS MUSIC-ST. JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL DENVER-LP-VINYL-SEALED-NEW US $11.03 Buy It Now 9h 25m
PASTOR JOE B. HARDWICK-PRAISE OF ZION-CATHEDRAL CHOIR-1984-LP-SEALED-NEW! US $11.03 Buy It Now 9h 30m
Clinic - Winchester Cathedral CD - Near Mint US $11.62 Buy It Now 10h 31m
Cathedral - Caravan Beyond Redemption CD US $16.98 Buy It Now 10h 36m
Cathedral - Supernatural Birth Machine CD US $16.98 Buy It Now 10h 37m
Cathedral - Kingdom Of Ends CD US $16.09 Buy It Now 10h 49m
725012 BACH Toccata & Fugue TACHEZI Silbermann Organ Dresden Cathedral ETERNA LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 58m
New Vaudeville Band LP Winchester Cathedral US $5.49 Buy It Now 11h 10m
CHOIR OF ST PAULS CATHEDRAL carols of christmas LP PS EX/EX uk US $14.66 Buy It Now 12h
CHRISTOPHER DEARNLEY organ music salisbury cathedral LP PS EX/EX US $14.66 Buy It Now 12h
EAS 5 CHORAL FESTIVAL SERVICES 1971-72 in exeter cathedral LP PS EX/EX booklets US $14.66 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Down Cathedral, Downpatrick - A Prayer of St Patrick (Cathedral Choir US $6.44 Buy It Now 12h 21m
CHOIR OF WESTMINSTER CATHEDRAL "A FESTIVAL OF (CHRISTMAS) CAROLS" COMPACT US $9.95 [0 bids]
LAWRENCE WELK ~ 'WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL' - DOT - # DLP 3774 US $9.95 Buy It Now 12h 26m
DUBSTAR UK 1997 PROMO CD Single Cathedral Park CDFOODDJ104 US $4.49 Buy It Now 12h 28m
Var. "Masters Of Misery" Black Vinyl LP - RSD Black Sabbath Sleep Cathedral OLD US $27.71 Buy It Now 12h 42m
Brentwood Cathedral Boys Choir - O Rest in the Lord - cd US $4.43 [1 bids]
ALLAN WICKS ORGAN SHOWPIECES ORGAN IN CANTERBURY CATHEDRAL VINYL LP US $9.12 Buy It Now 13h 12m
Christmas Carols From Guildford Cathedral (4303) Music For Pleasure (1966) LP US $13.03 Buy It Now 13h 16m
Lawrence Welk 200 years of american Music - Winchester Cathedral Lp Record 33R US $7.99 [0 bids]
LAWRENCE WELK Winchester Cathedral Vinyl LP record - VG (DLP 25774) US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE CATHEDRAL QUARTET....THE LAST SUNDAY 1973 Gospel LP US $5.25 [1 bids]
THE CATHEDRAL QUARTET...REQUEST TIME Gospel LP US $5.25 [0 bids]
Var. "Masters Of Misery" Black Vinyl LP - RSD Black Sabbath Sleep Cathedral OLD US $18.99 Buy It Now 14h 32m
THE CATHEDRAL QUARTET...A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING 1970 Gospel LP US $5.25 [0 bids]
HASZLER / TOLKACHEV - CHRIST THE SAVIOUR CATHEDRAL MOSCOW - CHRIST THE NEW CD US $25.05 Buy It Now 14h 38m
REG AND GRACE TOMLINSON " OPEN THE DOOR " RARE CATHEDRAL 7" VINYL CRSP 2007 US $6.51 Buy It Now 14h 41m
THE CATHEDRAL QUARTET...IT'S MUSIC TIME Gospel LP US $5.25 [0 bids]
CATHEDRAL / hopkins / JAPAN LTD CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 14h 50m
Guessing Game - Cathedral New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $34.68 Buy It Now 14h 51m
CROWN OF THORNS / LOST CATHEDRAL JAPAN CD OOP W/OBI +2B/T US $24.99 Buy It Now 15h 3m
Lawrence Welk & Orch LP 1966 Winchester Cathedral ( EX ) US $6.00 Buy It Now 15h 5m
WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL CHOIR A SOLEMN MUSICK CASSETTE TAPE ALBUM B5 US $2.50 Buy It Now 15h 6m
CATHEDRAL / STATIK MAJIK / JAPAN LTD OBI US $19.99 Buy It Now 15h 21m
Be Blessed by Ivan Parker (Cassette, Jan-2001, Cathedral Records) US $2.50 [0 bids]
DAVID HOUSTON Loser's Cathedral LP Vinyl RARE 1967 1st Press EPIC BN 26303 US $5.98 Buy It Now 15h 35m
Capella Antiqua Munich Voices Of Middle Ages Music from Gothic Cathedral E LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 15h 44m
TRURO CATHEDRAL CHOI - CHRISTMAS FROM TRURO - NEW CD US $18.11 Buy It Now 15h 47m
Antiphonal Music from the Cathedral of San Marco in Venice US $10.00 [0 bids]
English Cathedral Classics-Choir- Royal Wedding-NEW US $5.99 Buy It Now 16h 12m
LAWRENCE WELK - WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL - DOT RECORD - VG+ US $5.49 [0 bids]
The Cathedral Concert by The Spokane(,WA )Youth Orchestra.Conducted by Windham US $6.00 [0 bids]
Great Cathedral Anthems Vol 12 - Adrian Lucas New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shi US $26.13 Buy It Now 16h 19m
Winchester Cathedral Choir(Vinyl LP)Christmas Carols From-Hallmark-UK-VG+/Ex US $11.40 Buy It Now 16h 19m
LAWRENCE WELK WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL RECORD ALBUM VG COVER VG 102 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Cathedral / Caravan Beyond Redemption JAPAN+1 w/Booklet 1ST PRESS OOP!!!!! C US $34.99 Buy It Now 16h 29m
WASHINGTON CATHEDRAL CHOIR OF MEN & BOYS Music from Washington LP Vanguard EXC US $30.00 Buy It Now 16h 54m
Cathedral-Tone Records IRISH BALLADS Father Harold Whittet Tenor Soloist US $8.00 [0 bids]
Cathedral Statik Majik 1994 OOP rare EP US $10.03 [0 bids]
H. Parry - I Was Glad-Cathedral Music [CD New] US $15.48 Buy It Now 17h 56m
The Cathedral Quartet It's Music Time Record. US $23.09 Buy It Now 18h 3m
Scottish Serenade Highland Cathedral Jacobite Sword Dance etc Scotland CD US $10.59 Buy It Now 18h 24m
THE NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL LP FONTANA WITH SHRINK IT IS OPEN US $12.99 [0 bids]
Cathedral "Hopkins The Witchfinder General" CD - NEW! US $11.40 Buy It Now 18h 40m
THE NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL fontana USA Lp NM US $11.40 Buy It Now 18h 48m
Stanislas Syrewicz,Stanislas Syrewicz,Gloucester Cathedral Choir,Stanislas Syrew US $4.34 Buy It Now 18h 57m
CATHEDRAL - THE LAST SPIRE [039841520422] - NEW CD US $9.73 Buy It Now 19h 10m
WALTON, WILLIAM, SIR - WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL: ORGAN SPECTACULAR - NEW CD US $9.52 Buy It Now 19h 17m
Cathedral Quartet "Family Album" 2LP Gatefold Set VERY RARE Cathedrals 19249 US $20.00 [0 bids]
Panis angelicus: Favourite Motets from Westminster Cathedral (CD, Nov-1993,... US $6.99 Buy It Now 19h 40m
Cathedral Quartet "Live In Atlanta" SEALED Without "Movin' Up" Concert Only LP US $20.00 [0 bids]
Cathedral Quartet "Live In Atlanta" WITH "Movin' Up" Riversong 8302 Like New US $10.00 [0 bids]
CATHEDRAL CD "SUPERNATURAL MACHINE" - 11 KILLER TRACKS US $1.99 [0 bids]
JACKSON BERKEY, Sunken Cathedral, Stunning NM LP! Debussy, DIRECT TO DISC! US $5.00 [0 bids]
Cathedral Quartet "Master Builder" Riversong ZLP08510 Glen Payne Mark Trammell US $10.00 [0 bids]
GREAT CATHEDRAL ORGANS - NEW CD US $45.56 Buy It Now 20h 3m
The Cathedrals "Collection Volume 1" SEALED Cathedral Quartet Gerald Wolfe 02471 US $20.00 [1 bids]
LASSUS CHOIR OF CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL, OXFORD LP US $4.00 [0 bids]
Vierne Widor Dupre Sacred Music Choir of Westminster Cathedral CD US $14.85 Buy It Now 20h 21m

More places to buy CATHEDRAL music online Buy CATHEDRAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CATHEDRAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CATHEDRAL The Bridge ratings distribution

CATHEDRAL The Bridge reviews

Review by bhikkhu
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Team
5 stars Talk about procrastination. I think these guys hold the record. I mean it only took them almost three decades to record a follow up to their 1978 debut. Honestly, you have got to give CATHEDRAL a lot of credit. "Stained Glass Stories" may have garnered critical acclaim, but it wasn't exactly a huge hit. However, renewed interest in it did cause a reformation. So, what can you expect from a band that only recorded one obscure album, and waited this long to do it again? Will they sound the same? Will they even be any good at all? Well, the answers are no, and a resounding yes. They have come back sounding as if they have been at it all along, evolving along the way. If I were not familiar with them, I would be thinking that I was hearing the latest album from a band with a long recording history. Where bands that have been recording for decades sound a bit stale (*cough* Yes), CATHEDRAL sounds fresh, and of the time. There is still a strong King Crimson influence, but it is latter day KC. There is mellotron, but it is being used in the spirit of present day artists like Deluge Grander. Amazingly, they have accomplished this with the lineup mostly intact, having made only one change in personnel.

They did follow a bit of the original formula, by book ending the album with epics. However, this time the opener and closer are musically unrelated. What they have done is created modern symphonic greatness. The blending of old and new techniques works flawlessly. The playing is as good as it gets, and the compositions demand recognition.

"The Monsterhead Suite" is an epic melange of beauty and quirky darkness. It will also give you your mellotron fix for the next month.

"Satellite" may be catchy, but don't worry. It's the kind of catchy thing that prog fans love. In other words, you friends will still think it's weird.

"Hollins" takes you into a bit of space territory, but there is also an almost flamenco style guitar running through most of it. When electric, you can hear a bit of Gilmour influence. The vocal is melancholy, and serves the piece well.

"Kithara Interludium" is a beautiful acoustic number (Hackett anyone?).

"Angular World" is just what the name implies. This is full on modern King Crimson territory.

"The Lake" starts with a strong World Music vibe and then gradually transforms. By the end, it is firmly in symphonic land, but never quite loses that world essence.

"The Secret" is the closing epic, and the feet are now firmly planted in the new millennium. I mentioned Deluge Grander before, and I don't know if they have been listening to Dan Briton's stuff or not. If they haven't, then they have been listening to the same stuff that influenced Dan. Here CATHEDRAL clearly establishes itself as a band of the present.

It's called the "The Bridge" to refer to the gap that was bridged between albums. Not only have they done that, but they have also bridged the evolutionary gap. This is a fantastic album, and stands completely on it's own from their previous work. I love them both, and I would if were two different bands (it almost sounds as if it is). CATHEDRAL has made an extremely strong new beginning, and this time prog is on the upswing. I look forward to more. This one will be on my list for best of 2007.

H.T. Riekels

Send comments to bhikkhu (BETA) | Report this review (#150791) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Review by UMUR
4 stars Releasing your sophmore album 29 years after your debut is a pretty rare thing but never the less this is what Cathedral have done. I found Cathedralīs debut to be really exciting allthough it was very unpolished and even though many things have happened in 29 years itīs easy to hear that this is the same band playing. The King Crimson influences are still strong but mostly because Paul Seal sounds a bit like Wetton. Paul Seal is a much better singer than Wetton though. I can also hear influences from Genesis here and there. This is retro prog without a doubt.

The music is very complex with many sections in every song. Especially songs like Monsterhead and Hollins have many different parts. Itīs not like the tempo is very high though itīs more the structure of the songs which are complex. There are some really fast played guitar notes though. All the songs are easily memorable and itīs nice to hear that Cathedral even though they are a retro prog rock band are able to make original music. Kithara Interludium does stand out from the rest of the songs as it is a classical acoustic guitar suite. Itīs very competently played but I think it is a bit too long. As a fan of early seventies prog rock Iīm happy to hear that the mellotron is used extensively on The Bridge. It gives the music a very symphonic lift that I greatly appreciate. This was also the case on Cathedralīs debut.

The musicians needs to be mentioned as this is one of the best performances I have heard in a long time. These guys know how to play their instruments. As a guitarist myself I am awe strucken when listening to David Doigīs playing. That man plays some great guitar parts. Singer Paul Seal has developed his voice since the debut and allthough he will never be my favorite singer I think he has personality and does a great job here. The rythm section is pretty prominent and especially the bass from Fred Callan is very loud in the soundscape. Both Fred Callan and drummer Mercury Caronia IV does a great job here. The keyboard player Tom Doncourt is the main reason why this sounds retro. He uses vintage keyboards a lot. He mostly plays background notes to support the vocal melody and the guitar. I love vintage keyboard sounds so to me this is great.

The sound quality could have been better but The Bridge is self produced and if you think about that the production is allright. The drums and the bass which is way too high in the mix annoy me though. For the life of me I cannot understand why a band of Cathedralīs caliber canīt get a record contract so they can get a good sound ? The progressive record companies should be lined up trying to get Cathedralīs signature.

This was a pleasant surprise for me as I didnīt expect too much from a band that hasnīt released anything in 29 years. I expected them to sound tired and old, another pathetic attempt to relive their youth, but instead Cathedral has grown considerably as musicians and composers and we get this excellent album that I will rate 4 big stars. Had the production been really good I might have given this one 5. Itīs highly recommendable though. One of the best symphonic prog rock albums released in recent years to my recollection.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#165248) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 28, 2008

Review by Menswear
2 stars Better late than never?

After almost 30 years, Cathedral is back...and I could've live without it. I read so much praised, I had to listen and verify by myself. What I founded was not my cup of tea, but really not!

What's wrong with this record? Well, as a start, it maybe me. Maybe my progressive heart has not being tendered enough, but all those unsipid solos or mellotron-single-chord-playing are giving me a rash. I mean, it's probably fun for guitarist to copy David Gilmour over and over, but it does not mean that it's melodic nor catchy. And the voice is so useless, it could make Caravan pass for Pavarotti.

Talking about melody: this record is lacking some song logic big time. Most of the time, it's not really going anywhere. You have an acoutic guitar solo, then so much mellotron it's getting annoying and after that a synth-chorus and then...and then...it goes on without going nowhere fast. The songs are simply not standing on their own legs. Okay, go on and be original or dark, but GO SOMEWHERE! Don't just 'cut- paste' all your ideas, this is still not a song!

Kithara Interludium is instrumental. Okay, the same problem is back, still going hazardly somewhere. I guess the key is listening, and listening and listening again.

Listen before buying and oh, it did bore the heck out of...of...zzzzzz.

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#184348) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Review by debrewguy
2 stars After finally hearing Stained Class Stories in all its' derivative splendour, i couldn't wait to get to this album. Monsterhead starts off promising - acoustic guitar ... then Anglagard with an American singer ? Did King Crimson dump their out-takes on Cathedral with the proviso that they not be as heavy as recent KC output ? O.K. , skip that one. Satellite ... gets me thinking that I'm sure I've heard of a Neo-prog group by that name. There is one. That fact is about the only thing that stands out for this song. ANd yes, likely it's unintended, but it does come off like Neo. Bad Neo. All synth washes, and guitar solos & fills with heavy doses of delay. I'm starting to notice that often, the mellotron or synths seem to appear regularly almost as backing vocals on much of the singing - da da de da da synth wash ... Hollins - and today students, we'll apply our textbook theory and build a modern prog composition. Your recent case studies of Neo-prog, Swedish scene, and mellotron should provide you ample material to construct a passing grade tune. Kudos to those who have come up with the idea of inserting the word angular while playing Anglagard like passages. Kithara Interludium - now class, one of the standard components of a Prog album is the inclusion of an acoustic or classical guitar composition. It is never a bad idea to include overt & covert melodic ideas from some of the classical canons' best melodies. You may want to refer to Steve Howe's occasional forays into this field to come up with ideas. Now unlike Mr. Howe, I will not expect you to introduce other musical genres into your playing. Angular World - did I mention that they use the word angular at the same time that they play an angular melody ? The Lake - the bottom of which this CD is going to end up in. Why would they bother ripping off So era Gabriel and do it this badly ? The Secret - is that their next album will be a self financed vanity project. If I touch your lips with my fingertips, hush my child, we'll just dream a while. And I'd given up on seeing signs of originality ! Truly, for those who enjoyed the debut, and might be looking at picking this up, do yourself a favour - choose an Anglagard album, or go to Pendragon's Pure. Sometimes, memories are best left alone.

Send comments to debrewguy (BETA) | Report this review (#201541) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars It's been years and years since Cathedral released their "Stained Glass Stories" album, an obscure symphonic prog album that went unnoticed by the big audiences of the late 70s but eventually became a collector's item for prog fans all over the world from the 90s onward. That album had set the standard of Cathedral's as one heavily influenced by 73-75 Yes, plus touches of Gabriel-era Genesis' melodic sense. Now, with almost the entire original line-up reformed, Cathedral created yet another beautiful repertoire of old fashioned symphonic prog rock encapsulated in the album "The Bridge". It is clearly defined under the usual rules of melodic richness, orchestral feel and long development of themes, but the Cathedral guys proficiently elude the traps of cloning (or self-cloning). "The Bridge" bears a very modern vibe to it, with a more agile set of instrumental arrangements and a tighter sense of rocking power. All who got to know and appreciate classic Cathedral perhaps will miss the first album's density that made it so special in its eerie beauty, and also will miss the use of a more powerful rhythmic foundation in the tracks' frameworks, but it is all in the balance between what is gone and what is new in this band's second era. None of these albums is perfect, but both have their own virtues. There is also a tendency to avoid the saturation of keyboard inputs, which helps Cathedral to become as tiring as the renewed Kaipa or Kayak can be at times. The 3-part 'Monsterhead Suite' kicks off the album with cosmic textures, soon developed into clear Yessian moods (never playing the "Starcastle card"). The guitars are prominent in the soloing department, while the keyboards are mostly busy elaborating orchestrations and layers. The mood shifts flow nicely, filling the 13+ minute musical journey with pleasant melodies and harmonic structures. The follower 'Satellite' bears a rockier punch, which makes it a bit catchier - yet, the use of weird melodic progressions keeps the track from being easy listening, particularly the dissonant elements that shape the guitar inputs and the Gentle Giant-ish keyboard flows. Even though this piece is not really that disturbing, its use of some weird ornaments is fully appreciated. 'Hollins' opens up with new cosmic textures (including a mellotronic choir), followed by a Hackett-style set of classical guitar chops. Once the main motif is settled down, the band creates a good balance of controlled complexity and tricky simplicity. The next track also gives special room for the classical guitar's flourishes: in the end, it is a very Baroque-inspired piece. 'Angular World', to some degree, picks up where 'satellite' had left, but all in all it gains a greater benefit from the longer expansion of its motifs. The explosive guitar solo delivered somewhere in the middle provides a special dose of intensity among the album's general moods. 'The Lake', in comparison, states a more mysterious vibe, with plenty of exotic colors: on the other hand, it is related to the framework that the band utilized for the preceding track. 'The Secret' is the album's closer, filling the last 11 ― minutes: as a compositional work, it is the most ambitious piece in the album, bringing the most colorful set of musical ideas to the fold. A special mention goes to the Theremin, provider of spacey interludes in the whole architecture of keyboards: the closing passage states a reminder of the good old "Stained Glass" days. The general ups and downs that I personally find in this album have been mentioned earlier - considering how much each individual track has impressed me, I regard "The Bridge" as a very good album, full of beauty and cleverly elaborated textures: in other words, yet another triumph by Cathedral.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#209302) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009

Review by progpositivity
3 stars Although its cosmic and symphonic elements probably make 1969-1970 King Crimson a more accurate reference point, I find much of this music surprisingly reminiscent of some of Adrian Belews 80's work with Talking Heads (except with many more moods, tempos, and arrangements).

Vocals are strong throughout, often evocative of (a more precise version of) John Wetton. In rare sensitive moments, however, they sound oddly similar to Gabriel-era Genesis. There is a certain restrained, non-heavy, non-metallic vibe that may come across as a lack of urgency and low level of energy to some listeners. That said, The Bridge has much worthy of recognition and appreciation: dramatic flair, varied symphonic arrangements, tastefully angular guitar, bass lines which are actually meaningful within the compositions. Unfortunately, the ability to appreciate them is to some extent dependent upon one's ability to disassociate this album from Cathedral's classic 1978 debut, a feat which some prog fans may have no desire to attempt and one which the majority of the remainder may find difficult to accomplish.

If this band is guilty of anything, however, it is perhaps only the transgression of actually trying to catch lightning in bottle a second time after all these years. Even so, I respect them for having the courage to 'give it a go' in a new and different way this time around - so many years after their beloved debut. Recommended.

Send comments to progpositivity (BETA) | Report this review (#1148487) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 15, 2014

2 stars I almost wrote a two star review of this album half a year ago. I thought better off it and I hoped I was going to find something of any value if I gave it another six months. I was wrong. This band does not need any introduction. Their Stained Glass album thirty years ago is rightly regard ... (read more)

Report this review (#248342) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, November 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Really no-one can enter the same water twice. But seriously great is the work made by these musicians. Although no connection is visible (hearable) to the Stained Glass Stories made so long ago, sound is quite pretty, easy acceptable and contemporary indeed. Real prog-music for the 2007! Listening ... (read more)

Report this review (#147836) | Posted by sole-survivor | Sunday, October 28, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is not Stained Glass Stories II although the band is totally recognizable. The recording is much better than the first album, obvious that they had a bigger budget this time. The new guitarist is fine- I think he has a more original sound than the first guy. Love the songs and think the band ... (read more)

Report this review (#140118) | Posted by jellotron | Sunday, September 23, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CATHEDRAL "The Bridge"