THE BRIDGE

Cathedral The Bridge album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy CATHEDRAL Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Monsterhead Suite: parts 1, 2 & 3 (13:21)
2. Satellite (5:00)
3. Hollins (9:54)
4. Kithara Interludium (6:28)
5. Angular World (7:11)
6. The Lake (5:11)
7. The Secret (11:33)

Search CATHEDRAL The Bridge lyrics

Search CATHEDRAL The Bridge tabs

- Fred Callan / bass guitar, Taurus pedals, backing vocals
- David Doig / acoustic & electric guitars
- Paul Seal / lead vocals, percussion
- Mercury Caronia IV / drums, gongs, bells, various electronic percussion, backing vocals
- Tom Doncourt / mellotron, other keyboards, theremin, percussion, flute

Self-released

Thanks to avestin for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

CATHEDRAL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Gong Stained Glass Stories, 1978

Buy CATHEDRAL The Bridge Music

Soul SacrificeSoul Sacrifice
Sony 1992
The New Vaudeville Band 45 "** Winchester Cathedral **" US $3.49 Buy It Now 31m 1s
Canterbury Cathedral Choir : Gloria CD (2010) US $9.94 Buy It Now 38m 49s
CATHEDRAL - SERPENT'S GOLD NEW CD US $20.72 Buy It Now 54m 52s
EBY / SJOKVIST / STOCKHOLM CATHEDRAL CHOIR - NOW THE GREEN BLADE RISETH NEW CD US $24.68 Buy It Now 1h 16m
LP THE ORGAN OF LLANDAFF CATHEDRAL Robert Joyce DAF 204 US $12.34 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Christmas Carols by the Choir of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin by Christ... US $21.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
CATHEDRAL. Albums collection.4 albums. Gloria label. NEW, sealed US $14.50 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror - DOOM SLUDGE METAL EARACHE US $4.99 [0 bids]
CATHEDRAL - The ethereal mirror CD 93 Japan 1.pr/no OBI US $16.49 Buy It Now 1h 40m
AUGSBURGER DOMSINGKNABEN AUGSBURG CATHEDRAL CHOIR BOYS Folk Songs LP MINT US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
THE GUILDFORD CATHEDRAL CHOIR - THE CHRISTMAS CAROLS ALBUM - CASSETTE TAPE ALBUM US $11.28 Buy It Now 1h 49m
60s Rock NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND Winchester Cathedral NM 27560 Jacket Shrink EB720 US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Christmas Time Favorites Westminster Cathedral Orchestra MUSIC CD US $8.22 Buy It Now 1h 54m
24K Gold by Gold City (CD, Aug-2003, Cathedral Records) US $39.99 [0 bids]
2h
CATHEDRAL - CARNIVAL BIZARRE NEW CD US $20.72 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Forever I Will Sing * by Glen Payne (CD, Sep-2000, Cathedral Records) US $9.99 [0 bids]
CHOIR OF CHESTER CATHEDRAL ...-CHRISTMAS JOY CD NEW US $21.14 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Cathedral Soul Sacrifice PROMO USA Cassette Tape sealed US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 31m
VAUGHAN WILLIAMS / CATHEDRAL CHOIR OF MEN & GIRLS - CENTENNIAL NEW CD US $22.51 Buy It Now 2h 54m
CHOIR OF WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL ~ JERUSALEM - I WAS GLAD CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
CATHEDRAL - ETHEREAL MIRROR NEW CD US $20.72 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Trumpet & Organ at Liverpool Cathedral by Stringer & Rawsthorne (CD,2011) US $6.95 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Salisbury Cathedral Choir - Anthems for America CD Meridian UK Richard Seal US $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 23m
NEW VAUDEVILLE Band -- Winchester Cathedral -- LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 27m
SACRED TREASURES V 5 From a Russian Cathedral BRAND NEW CD Liturgy of Peace US $10.49 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Christmas Carols from Exeter Cathedral Vinyl LP MFP1321 1966 EX/EX US $6.94 [0 bids]
CHOIR OF ST. PAUL'S CATHEDRAL ~ CHRISTMAS MUSIC ~ 1989 UK 13-TRACK LP RECORD US $9.68 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Cathedral sing me a song original NM still in shrink rare Folk psych rock LP US $169.69 Buy It Now 4h 41m
MESSIAH LUTHERAN CHURCH CATHEDRAL CHOIR HALLELUJAH LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 50m
BARRY ROSE PLAYS " GREAT ORGAN FAVOURITES " FROM GUILDFORD CATHEDRAL ~ VINYL LP US $11.28 Buy It Now 4h 53m
DAVID HOUSTON A LOSER'S CATHEDRAL EPIC 45 1966 US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 55m
Cathedral SERPENT'S GOLD 27trk double cd US $4.82 [0 bids]
Haszler/Tolkachev - Christ The Saviour Cathedral Moscow-New Liturgical [CD New] US $15.34 Buy It Now 5h 2m
DUBSTAR UK 1997 CD Single CATHEDRAL PARK Pt2 US $4.02 Buy It Now 5h 20m
Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibrium / TH Cassette US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 22m
Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror / TH Cassette US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror / TH Cassette US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 27m
Cathedral - Statik Majik / TH Cassette (EP) US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 29m
Cathedral - Supernatural Birth Machine / TH Cassette US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
PHIL COULTER - HIGHLAND CATHEDRAL [PHIL COULTER] [090266361526] - NEW CD US $10.98 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Worcester Cathedral Choir : Christmas Carols CD (1994) US $5.98 Buy It Now 5h 41m
DAVID HILL Choir Of Winchester Cathedral O Clap Your Hands N/M LP US $16.12 [0 bids]
"The Cathedral Collection" Homeland Records HD 9610 2 CD Set US $7.00 Buy It Now 6h 5m
CHRISTMAS CAROLS FROM GUILDFORD CATHEDRAL 1966 US $9.02 Buy It Now 6h 13m
CLIFFORD HARKER Music of Bristol Cathedral LP US $3.23 Buy It Now 6h 16m
OLDE CRONE self-titled CD obscure British psych-doom a la cathedral hawkwind NEW US $11.98 Buy It Now 6h 26m
Olde English Madrigals and Folk Songs At Ely Cathedral Factory Sealed Album US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Christmas with Canadian Brass and Great Organ of St. Patrick's Cathedral (1981) US $2.95 Buy It Now 6h 51m
Handel - Zadok the Priest - Winchester Cathedral David Hill (CD) Mint Fast Post US $16.12 Buy It Now 6h 52m
Samuel S. Soria : Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels - Organ Works CD (2004) US $3.97 Buy It Now 6h 55m
LP, Album, 1963, 800th Anniversary NOTRE DAME Cathedral US $18.99 Buy It Now 6h 58m
CATHEDRAL The Carnival Bizzarre (Ltd Ed CD/DVD) new mint US $28.99 Buy It Now 7h
Alan Stringer & Rawsthorne,CD,Trumpet & Organ at Liverpool Cathedral US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Lawrence Welk - Winchester Cathedral LP - Sealed SS - DLP 3774 Dot -vintage 1966 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Cathedral Dreams: Choral Classics for Your Soul by Sir David Willcocks,... US $4.12 Buy It Now 7h 21m
Winchester Cathedral by The Flappers (LP-1920's, ragtime, broadway Showtunes) US $2.00 [0 bids]
DON PIO NOCILLI Cathedral Organ Vinyl LP MVM MVM170 USA US $24.18 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Franck  Six Pieces  Op 16-21  Torsten Laux  Notre Dame Cathedral  Laon  Sealed US $7.50 Buy It Now 7h 42m
EMILY PALEN - GLASS - LIVE AT GRACE CATHEDRAL - SEALED-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
David Lepine COVENTRY CATHEDRAL - EMI CSD 1609 SEALED US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 45m
The People's Friend - Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral Choir - Cassette Tape US $2.40 [0 bids]
Cathedral - Forest Of Equalibrium - Polish Release 1993 EX US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Palm Beach Band Boys - Winchester Cathedral / 1966 RCA US $6.95 Buy It Now 8h
New Vaudeville Band - Winchester Cathedral NEW CD US $14.07 Buy It Now 8h 2m
Douglas Major - Bach In The Cathedral LP Organ US $2.99 Buy It Now 8h 4m
SAINT PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL CHOIR sings chrismas songs LP Mint- SR 25142 Vinyl US $12.50 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Christmas Carols from Salisbury Cathedral LP rare US $2.99 [0 bids]
Cathedral Singers : Last Journey: Songs for Time of Grieving CD (1999) US $8.07 Buy It Now 8h 27m
CHOIR OF WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL - JERUSALEM: BRITISH CHRAL CLASSICS NEW CD US $15.29 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Masterpieces for Organ - David Hill, Organ of Westminster Cathedral (W-Germany) US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 59m
SANDERS / MARK GLOUSCESTER CATHEDRAL CHOIR / LEE - CHRISTMAS FROM NEW CD US $17.46 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Let the Children Sing by Cathedral Choir US $5.97 Buy It Now 9h
NORDHEIM / BERGEN CATHEDRAL CHOIR / ANDERSEN - WIRKLICHER WALD / AURORA NEW CD US $24.68 Buy It Now 9h 12m
NAT'L CATHEDRAL CHOIR / LEWIS / BRASS - JOY OF CHRISTMAS NEW CD US $22.51 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Unopened Plastic! Lawrence Welk "Winchester Cathedral" (LP, 33 RPM, 12", 1966) US $3.99 [0 bids]
WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND VINYL LP SRF 67560 FONTANA VG+ US $4.00 [0 bids]
FREDERICK SWANN - CRYSTAL CATHEDRAL ORGAN NEW CD US $22.51 Buy It Now 9h 40m
First Lutheran Church Cathedral Choir Christmas LP Fargo Dr. David Ferreira US $14.00 Buy It Now 9h 42m
ABBEY UK Caterbury Cathedral Choir WICKS FLOOD Organ In Quires & Places ABY-817 US $6.00 Buy It Now 9h 45m
PENANCE The Road Revisited CD Re-issue trad doom Dream Death cathedral warning US $11.99 Buy It Now 10h 19m
T. S. Eliot Robert Donat Murder in the Cathedral 2 VG++ mono LP's with booklet US $12.00 Buy It Now 10h 20m
DUBSTAR cathedral park 12" 5 trk remixes two promo double pack in special sleeve US $8.45 Buy It Now 10h 23m
WORLD BELOW Maelstrom CD Swedish doom metal a la cathedral orodruin goatsnake US $11.99 Buy It Now 10h 38m
Great Cathedral Organs Of England 5055031313044, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P US $15.12 Buy It Now 10h 42m
DAVID HOUSTON: A Loser's Cathedral country vinyl US $4.00 Buy It Now 10h 43m
CATHEDRAL - THE GUESSING GAME - NEW CD BOXSET US $11.81 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Hollow Modern Cathedral NEW METAL CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 11h 10m
The Choir of Canterbury Cathedral : A Canterbury Christmas CD (1998) US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 12m
Cathedral - Supernatural Birth Machine - 1996 Earache NEW US $6.99 Buy It Now 11h 13m
Westminster Cathedral Orchestra Silver Bells CD US $7.48 Buy It Now 11h 25m
Forever I Will Sing * by Glen Payne (CD, Sep-2000, Cathedral Records) US $3.99 [0 bids]
FIREHOUSE FIVE PLUS TWO: Winchester Cathedral/Mame (jazz vinyl 45) US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 34m
NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND, THE: Winchester Cathedral/Wait For Me Baby (rock vinyl 45) US $4.00 Buy It Now 11h 52m
NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND, THE: Winchester Cathedral/Peek-A-Boo (rock VG+ vinyl 45) US $7.00 Buy It Now 11h 54m
WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL- NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND LP- VG+/VG+ CONDITION US $5.99 [0 bids]
NEW VAUDEVILLE BAND "WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL" 45rpm- FONTANA # 1562 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Winchester Cathedral New Vaudeville Band LP MGF27560 US $9.95 Buy It Now 12h 35m
The New Vaudeville Band Winchester Cathedral LP NM SRF-67560 Fontana US $22.95 Buy It Now 12h 37m
CROFT / CHOIR OF ST PAULS CATHEDRAL / SCOTT - TE DEUM & JUBILATE BURIAL NEW CD US $16.74 Buy It Now 12h 48m
The Leonard Venden Family: The Green Cathedral. Chapel Records Label: S-146 US $9.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy CATHEDRAL music online Buy CATHEDRAL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CATHEDRAL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CATHEDRAL The Bridge ratings distribution

CATHEDRAL The Bridge reviews

Review by bhikkhu
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Team
5 stars Talk about procrastination. I think these guys hold the record. I mean it only took them almost three decades to record a follow up to their 1978 debut. Honestly, you have got to give CATHEDRAL a lot of credit. "Stained Glass Stories" may have garnered critical acclaim, but it wasn't exactly a huge hit. However, renewed interest in it did cause a reformation. So, what can you expect from a band that only recorded one obscure album, and waited this long to do it again? Will they sound the same? Will they even be any good at all? Well, the answers are no, and a resounding yes. They have come back sounding as if they have been at it all along, evolving along the way. If I were not familiar with them, I would be thinking that I was hearing the latest album from a band with a long recording history. Where bands that have been recording for decades sound a bit stale (*cough* Yes), CATHEDRAL sounds fresh, and of the time. There is still a strong King Crimson influence, but it is latter day KC. There is mellotron, but it is being used in the spirit of present day artists like Deluge Grander. Amazingly, they have accomplished this with the lineup mostly intact, having made only one change in personnel.

They did follow a bit of the original formula, by book ending the album with epics. However, this time the opener and closer are musically unrelated. What they have done is created modern symphonic greatness. The blending of old and new techniques works flawlessly. The playing is as good as it gets, and the compositions demand recognition.

"The Monsterhead Suite" is an epic melange of beauty and quirky darkness. It will also give you your mellotron fix for the next month.

"Satellite" may be catchy, but don't worry. It's the kind of catchy thing that prog fans love. In other words, you friends will still think it's weird.

"Hollins" takes you into a bit of space territory, but there is also an almost flamenco style guitar running through most of it. When electric, you can hear a bit of Gilmour influence. The vocal is melancholy, and serves the piece well.

"Kithara Interludium" is a beautiful acoustic number (Hackett anyone?).

"Angular World" is just what the name implies. This is full on modern King Crimson territory.

"The Lake" starts with a strong World Music vibe and then gradually transforms. By the end, it is firmly in symphonic land, but never quite loses that world essence.

"The Secret" is the closing epic, and the feet are now firmly planted in the new millennium. I mentioned Deluge Grander before, and I don't know if they have been listening to Dan Briton's stuff or not. If they haven't, then they have been listening to the same stuff that influenced Dan. Here CATHEDRAL clearly establishes itself as a band of the present.

It's called the "The Bridge" to refer to the gap that was bridged between albums. Not only have they done that, but they have also bridged the evolutionary gap. This is a fantastic album, and stands completely on it's own from their previous work. I love them both, and I would if were two different bands (it almost sounds as if it is). CATHEDRAL has made an extremely strong new beginning, and this time prog is on the upswing. I look forward to more. This one will be on my list for best of 2007.

H.T. Riekels

Send comments to bhikkhu (BETA) | Report this review (#150791) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Review by UMUR
4 stars Releasing your sophmore album 29 years after your debut is a pretty rare thing but never the less this is what Cathedral have done. I found Cathedralīs debut to be really exciting allthough it was very unpolished and even though many things have happened in 29 years itīs easy to hear that this is the same band playing. The King Crimson influences are still strong but mostly because Paul Seal sounds a bit like Wetton. Paul Seal is a much better singer than Wetton though. I can also hear influences from Genesis here and there. This is retro prog without a doubt.

The music is very complex with many sections in every song. Especially songs like Monsterhead and Hollins have many different parts. Itīs not like the tempo is very high though itīs more the structure of the songs which are complex. There are some really fast played guitar notes though. All the songs are easily memorable and itīs nice to hear that Cathedral even though they are a retro prog rock band are able to make original music. Kithara Interludium does stand out from the rest of the songs as it is a classical acoustic guitar suite. Itīs very competently played but I think it is a bit too long. As a fan of early seventies prog rock Iīm happy to hear that the mellotron is used extensively on The Bridge. It gives the music a very symphonic lift that I greatly appreciate. This was also the case on Cathedralīs debut.

The musicians needs to be mentioned as this is one of the best performances I have heard in a long time. These guys know how to play their instruments. As a guitarist myself I am awe strucken when listening to David Doigīs playing. That man plays some great guitar parts. Singer Paul Seal has developed his voice since the debut and allthough he will never be my favorite singer I think he has personality and does a great job here. The rythm section is pretty prominent and especially the bass from Fred Callan is very loud in the soundscape. Both Fred Callan and drummer Mercury Caronia IV does a great job here. The keyboard player Tom Doncourt is the main reason why this sounds retro. He uses vintage keyboards a lot. He mostly plays background notes to support the vocal melody and the guitar. I love vintage keyboard sounds so to me this is great.

The sound quality could have been better but The Bridge is self produced and if you think about that the production is allright. The drums and the bass which is way too high in the mix annoy me though. For the life of me I cannot understand why a band of Cathedralīs caliber canīt get a record contract so they can get a good sound ? The progressive record companies should be lined up trying to get Cathedralīs signature.

This was a pleasant surprise for me as I didnīt expect too much from a band that hasnīt released anything in 29 years. I expected them to sound tired and old, another pathetic attempt to relive their youth, but instead Cathedral has grown considerably as musicians and composers and we get this excellent album that I will rate 4 big stars. Had the production been really good I might have given this one 5. Itīs highly recommendable though. One of the best symphonic prog rock albums released in recent years to my recollection.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#165248) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 28, 2008

Review by Menswear
2 stars Better late than never?

After almost 30 years, Cathedral is back...and I could've live without it. I read so much praised, I had to listen and verify by myself. What I founded was not my cup of tea, but really not!

What's wrong with this record? Well, as a start, it maybe me. Maybe my progressive heart has not being tendered enough, but all those unsipid solos or mellotron-single-chord-playing are giving me a rash. I mean, it's probably fun for guitarist to copy David Gilmour over and over, but it does not mean that it's melodic nor catchy. And the voice is so useless, it could make Caravan pass for Pavarotti.

Talking about melody: this record is lacking some song logic big time. Most of the time, it's not really going anywhere. You have an acoutic guitar solo, then so much mellotron it's getting annoying and after that a synth-chorus and then...and then...it goes on without going nowhere fast. The songs are simply not standing on their own legs. Okay, go on and be original or dark, but GO SOMEWHERE! Don't just 'cut- paste' all your ideas, this is still not a song!

Kithara Interludium is instrumental. Okay, the same problem is back, still going hazardly somewhere. I guess the key is listening, and listening and listening again.

Listen before buying and oh, it did bore the heck out of...of...zzzzzz.

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#184348) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Review by debrewguy
2 stars After finally hearing Stained Class Stories in all its' derivative splendour, i couldn't wait to get to this album. Monsterhead starts off promising - acoustic guitar ... then Anglagard with an American singer ? Did King Crimson dump their out-takes on Cathedral with the proviso that they not be as heavy as recent KC output ? O.K. , skip that one. Satellite ... gets me thinking that I'm sure I've heard of a Neo-prog group by that name. There is one. That fact is about the only thing that stands out for this song. ANd yes, likely it's unintended, but it does come off like Neo. Bad Neo. All synth washes, and guitar solos & fills with heavy doses of delay. I'm starting to notice that often, the mellotron or synths seem to appear regularly almost as backing vocals on much of the singing - da da de da da synth wash ... Hollins - and today students, we'll apply our textbook theory and build a modern prog composition. Your recent case studies of Neo-prog, Swedish scene, and mellotron should provide you ample material to construct a passing grade tune. Kudos to those who have come up with the idea of inserting the word angular while playing Anglagard like passages. Kithara Interludium - now class, one of the standard components of a Prog album is the inclusion of an acoustic or classical guitar composition. It is never a bad idea to include overt & covert melodic ideas from some of the classical canons' best melodies. You may want to refer to Steve Howe's occasional forays into this field to come up with ideas. Now unlike Mr. Howe, I will not expect you to introduce other musical genres into your playing. Angular World - did I mention that they use the word angular at the same time that they play an angular melody ? The Lake - the bottom of which this CD is going to end up in. Why would they bother ripping off So era Gabriel and do it this badly ? The Secret - is that their next album will be a self financed vanity project. If I touch your lips with my fingertips, hush my child, we'll just dream a while. And I'd given up on seeing signs of originality ! Truly, for those who enjoyed the debut, and might be looking at picking this up, do yourself a favour - choose an Anglagard album, or go to Pendragon's Pure. Sometimes, memories are best left alone.

Send comments to debrewguy (BETA) | Report this review (#201541) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars It's been years and years since Cathedral released their "Stained Glass Stories" album, an obscure symphonic prog album that went unnoticed by the big audiences of the late 70s but eventually became a collector's item for prog fans all over the world from the 90s onward. That album had set the standard of Cathedral's as one heavily influenced by 73-75 Yes, plus touches of Gabriel-era Genesis' melodic sense. Now, with almost the entire original line-up reformed, Cathedral created yet another beautiful repertoire of old fashioned symphonic prog rock encapsulated in the album "The Bridge". It is clearly defined under the usual rules of melodic richness, orchestral feel and long development of themes, but the Cathedral guys proficiently elude the traps of cloning (or self-cloning). "The Bridge" bears a very modern vibe to it, with a more agile set of instrumental arrangements and a tighter sense of rocking power. All who got to know and appreciate classic Cathedral perhaps will miss the first album's density that made it so special in its eerie beauty, and also will miss the use of a more powerful rhythmic foundation in the tracks' frameworks, but it is all in the balance between what is gone and what is new in this band's second era. None of these albums is perfect, but both have their own virtues. There is also a tendency to avoid the saturation of keyboard inputs, which helps Cathedral to become as tiring as the renewed Kaipa or Kayak can be at times. The 3-part 'Monsterhead Suite' kicks off the album with cosmic textures, soon developed into clear Yessian moods (never playing the "Starcastle card"). The guitars are prominent in the soloing department, while the keyboards are mostly busy elaborating orchestrations and layers. The mood shifts flow nicely, filling the 13+ minute musical journey with pleasant melodies and harmonic structures. The follower 'Satellite' bears a rockier punch, which makes it a bit catchier - yet, the use of weird melodic progressions keeps the track from being easy listening, particularly the dissonant elements that shape the guitar inputs and the Gentle Giant-ish keyboard flows. Even though this piece is not really that disturbing, its use of some weird ornaments is fully appreciated. 'Hollins' opens up with new cosmic textures (including a mellotronic choir), followed by a Hackett-style set of classical guitar chops. Once the main motif is settled down, the band creates a good balance of controlled complexity and tricky simplicity. The next track also gives special room for the classical guitar's flourishes: in the end, it is a very Baroque-inspired piece. 'Angular World', to some degree, picks up where 'satellite' had left, but all in all it gains a greater benefit from the longer expansion of its motifs. The explosive guitar solo delivered somewhere in the middle provides a special dose of intensity among the album's general moods. 'The Lake', in comparison, states a more mysterious vibe, with plenty of exotic colors: on the other hand, it is related to the framework that the band utilized for the preceding track. 'The Secret' is the album's closer, filling the last 11 ― minutes: as a compositional work, it is the most ambitious piece in the album, bringing the most colorful set of musical ideas to the fold. A special mention goes to the Theremin, provider of spacey interludes in the whole architecture of keyboards: the closing passage states a reminder of the good old "Stained Glass" days. The general ups and downs that I personally find in this album have been mentioned earlier - considering how much each individual track has impressed me, I regard "The Bridge" as a very good album, full of beauty and cleverly elaborated textures: in other words, yet another triumph by Cathedral.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#209302) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009

Review by progpositivity
3 stars Although its cosmic and symphonic elements probably make 1969-1970 King Crimson a more accurate reference point, I find much of this music surprisingly reminiscent of some of Adrian Belews 80's work with Talking Heads (except with many more moods, tempos, and arrangements).

Vocals are strong throughout, often evocative of (a more precise version of) John Wetton. In rare sensitive moments, however, they sound oddly similar to Gabriel-era Genesis. There is a certain restrained, non-heavy, non-metallic vibe that may come across as a lack of urgency and low level of energy to some listeners. That said, The Bridge has much worthy of recognition and appreciation: dramatic flair, varied symphonic arrangements, tastefully angular guitar, bass lines which are actually meaningful within the compositions. Unfortunately, the ability to appreciate them is to some extent dependent upon one's ability to disassociate this album from Cathedral's classic 1978 debut, a feat which some prog fans may have no desire to attempt and one which the majority of the remainder may find difficult to accomplish.

If this band is guilty of anything, however, it is perhaps only the transgression of actually trying to catch lightning in bottle a second time after all these years. Even so, I respect them for having the courage to 'give it a go' in a new and different way this time around - so many years after their beloved debut. Recommended.

Send comments to progpositivity (BETA) | Report this review (#1148487) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 15, 2014

2 stars I almost wrote a two star review of this album half a year ago. I thought better off it and I hoped I was going to find something of any value if I gave it another six months. I was wrong. This band does not need any introduction. Their Stained Glass album thirty years ago is rightly regard ... (read more)

Report this review (#248342) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, November 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Really no-one can enter the same water twice. But seriously great is the work made by these musicians. Although no connection is visible (hearable) to the Stained Glass Stories made so long ago, sound is quite pretty, easy acceptable and contemporary indeed. Real prog-music for the 2007! Listening ... (read more)

Report this review (#147836) | Posted by sole-survivor | Sunday, October 28, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is not Stained Glass Stories II although the band is totally recognizable. The recording is much better than the first album, obvious that they had a bigger budget this time. The new guitarist is fine- I think he has a more original sound than the first guy. Love the songs and think the band ... (read more)

Report this review (#140118) | Posted by jellotron | Sunday, September 23, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CATHEDRAL "The Bridge"