Electric Light Orchestra - Getting to the Point CD (album) cover

GETTING TO THE POINT

Electric Light Orchestra

Guillermo
3 stars Getting to the Point, a song from ELO`s last album from the eighites called Balance of Power, is in my opinion, the best song from this underrated album. Good lyrics, good piano, good backing keyboards, and with all vocals sung by Jeff Lynne. It is really a sad song, sung with feeling by Lynne. I think that the lyrics, like most of the songs from this album, are about a broken relationship. I don`t know if Lynne was separating then from his wife or not, but the lyrics of this song sound to me that way. I don`t know how successful was this song in the singles charts. In fact, I never have listened to this song being broadcasted by Oldies FM Radio stations in my city, and I never listened to it being played in the FM stations in 1986.

Secret Lives is also a good song with lyrics which are about a broken relationship too. This song also has very good vocals by Lynne.

This single is more for the Pop Rock fans of ELO during the eighties. There is almost nothing of Progressive Rock in these songs, but despite this, ELO`s music from their last album from the eighties was very good, at least for me, I think.

By 1986, ELO wasn`t as popular as years before. Maybe that was one of the reasons that made Lynne split the band in 1988.

Guillermo | 3/5 |