Time Machine - Project: Time Scanning CD (album) cover

PROJECT: TIME SCANNING

Time Machine

UMUR
2 stars Project: Time Scanning is the debut EP from Italian progressive metal act Time Machine. Before I start my review of this EP I have to admit that I have a strained relationship with Time Machine because of their debut full length album Act II: Galileo which I purchased back in the nineties and hated like the plague. It´s not that Act II: Galileo is a really bad album if you look at it objectively, but the disappointment I got back then because I expected so much after reading raving reviews hasn´t weakened and just the mere site of that album makes me sad. I´ll try and keep that out of my mind during this review though ( it´s impossible I know).

The music is melodic progressive metal with lots of synth, but also guitar, bass and drums. Lead singer Andrea Ruggeri is pretty good without showing excellence. His accent is bearable. The songs have many great melodic qualities but suffer a bit in consistency because of the many sub tracks within the seven main tracks. It´s not too annoying though and we´re not kept busy by soundtrack like interludes as it was the case on Act II: Galileo.

The musicianship is good and I rather enjoy some of the melodic synth parts.

The production is the lowpoint on the EP. Horrible sound and unfortunately it´s worst during the parts where Andrea Ruggeri sings.

This is a much better release than Act II: Galileo IMO and had the production been better I might have given this EP 3 stars. As it is now this is a 2 star EP.

UMUR | 2/5 |