Andromeda - Extension of the Wish  CD (album) cover

4 stars Swedish speed prog metal.... hmm....

Combine Yngwie "twiddly guitars" Malmsteen, Testemant chugs, and throw in a keyboard for good measure you have Andromeda.

I'm a fan of Dream Theater and love the musicianship, song structures & complexity, and variation & progressivness. However I'm starting to get tired of DT and in particular the latter couple of albums which seem to try more and more to be heavy losing much of the progressive style which originally attracted me to Dream Theater. I think they've run out of original ideas and are becomming much more like a chunky Deep Purple.

In contrast Andromeda are fresh, young, talented, and... Swedish.

Although ther album may take a couple of listens to, tracks one and three have an immediate appeal and are on constant replay on my MP3 player.

Forget the second album. If you want to buy one album by Andromeda, buy this one.

| 4/5 |