The Tangent - Pyramids And Stars CD (album) cover

The Tangent

4 stars Hitting the right keys to my heart.

I have not failed to notice that a lot of people says or very strongly hints that the music of The Tangent has hit their heart and mind. Is therefore The Tangent a commercial prog rock band ? Well, they hit the right notes and their music is very stylish. So the answer is probably yes. But there is nothing wrong with pleasing the prog rock community.

This is the missing piece in my The Tangent collection. I got all their albums after their last album hit me like a tonne of bricks and gave me another reason to live. I got their other albums and I loved them too. I was pondering for several months if I was bothering to get this album. But luckily, there was an Ebay seller who wanted to get rid of it for a fraction of the price The Tangent's webshop are charging and I bought it. The reason for my reluctance to get it is that I already have the other live album. Two live albums is one too many. But I eventually gave in.

What do we get here ? The last gig from the original The Tangent lineup. So what ? I am not that interested in who plays the tone two minutes into a song or who are doing what. I am only in it for the music, to paraphrase Frank Zappa.

The songs on this album is mainly the same songs from the first The Tangent albums. This is a superb album. The live versions is slightly jazzed up and more lively. The band is really enjoying themselves and so is the lucky ones who witnessed this gig. Unfortunate, the band has included a stupid version of ELP's Lucky Man. I am not the biggest fan of ELPs version, but The Tangent's version is far worse than the original. That's the only negative gripe I have with this live album. If you can get hold of this live album, go for it. Is this an essential album ? No. But it is close, very close to a four star. It is a very nice album.....

3.75 stars. .......... Oh never mind !! It is 4 stars then.

toroddfuglesteg | 4/5 |