Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood CD (album) cover

THROUGH SILVER IN BLOOD

Neurosis

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
5 stars Through Silver In Blood is the fifth studio album from post/ experimental/ sludge metal legends Neurosis. The two last studio albums from Neurosis called Souls at Zero and Enemy of the Sun have really impressed me and opened my eyes to Neurosis very unique brand of experimental metal. Slow doomy metal mixed with angry hardcore vocals and atmospheric samples and keyboards. Unconventional song structures and an overall aggressive, depressive and tense atmosphere is some of the trademarks of Neurosis on those albums. Neurosis started out as a pretty straight aggressive hardcore band, but you can already sense their willingness to experiment on their second album called The Word As Law even though that album is still basically a hardcore album. On Neurosis third album Souls at Zero weīre confronted with their experimental doomy metal style for the first time. I absolutely adore that album. Enemy of the Sun which was their fourth album is even more dark and experimental and Through Silver In Blood continues down that dark and intensely angry path. Seldom have I heard anything this intense.

Youīre instantly reminded that itīs a Neurosis album youīre listening to when you notice the tribal like drumming from Jason Roeder. Itīs one of the most characteristic trademarks in Neurosis sound and also a very unique feature that sets them apart from other bands in the genre ( or at least did in 1996). The vocals from Scott Kelly and Steve Von Till are aggressive hardcore shouts and they compliment each other extremely well. Itīs so powerful with the high pitched and the more deep angry vocals. There are some pretty great slide guitar riffs that sounds so powerful and aggressive and even though most of the riffing is slow they are still exciting for me ( which is a bit of a mystery as I normally prefer fast metal riffing). The keyboards and samples from Noah Landis are mostly kept in the background but they mean a lot for the atmosphere of the songs. I really enjoy his effect orientated way of thinking/ playing. Dave Edwardsonīs distorted bass playing also needs to be mentioned here as it brings much power into the music.

Itīs almost impossible to point out the highligts on Through Silver In Blood because the whole album is one 70:32 minute long highlight. Songs like the opening title track, Eye and Locust Star are are excellent examples of Neurosis when they are most aggressive, but the album also feature tracks of a different nature. Strength of Fates takes us into post rock territory with itīs long and slow building structure and Aeon is different with itīs use of both violin and piano. All songs are slow doomy and generally very heavy though.

The production is perfect. It emphasise just the right things in the music at the right time. A very heavy and raw sound, but still sophisticated enough to hear every detail.

Some albums grap your attention and wonīt let go until theyīre finished with you. Thatīs the case with Through Silver In Blood for me. As soon as I put on Through Silver In Blood it takes control over me and I just have to surrender to the dark and angry emotions the music evoke. The album decides when Iīm finished listening to it, Iīm helpless to its power. A bit dramatic I know, but never the less itīs pretty much true. Enemy of the Sun and Through Silver In Blood have many things in common but even though I really find Enemy of the Sun to be an excellent album, Through Silver In Blood takes Neurosis music to a new level and because of this I canīt give Through Silver In Blood less than 5 stars. This is a perfect dark, angry, doomy and experimental metal album. Itīs highly recommendable.

UMUR | 5/5 |