Deep Purple - In Rock CD (album) cover

IN ROCK

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

friso
4 stars It's always hard to rate proto prog records. How important are they for progressive rock when they were recorded in a time prog was already in existence? In 1967, 68 and 69 protoprog was very important, after that progressive rock feeded itself for inspiration and progression itself. Then in 1970 this classic hard rock record was recorded, having lots of influence on the heavy rock genre.

Deep Purple made a hard rock record with psychadelic influences and lots of guitar experimentation. The latter makes this record so unique. Speed King begins with a lot of solo guitar experiments followed up by and churge organ and then this rock formation starts playing the actual song. I love this! The beginning of In Rock realy hits the spot and gives me a feeling that I'm in for a lot to come! Bloodsucker is good hard rock song. Where the legendary Child in Time is considered the best song of the record. I realy like the guitar/organ solo part in the middle, but I don't think it is the best track. The inside of the lp version tells us about Child in Time: Story about a looser- it could be you. This sort of humor a can enjoy!

Flight of the Rat. This song is a bit more psychadelic. Lyricly it's a bit Piper at the Gates of dawn like. Childish and realy good! The song has a lot's of parts, with one boring part on wahguitar. Just when you think you had the boring part, it comes again at the end of the song. I realy feel teased by this stupendious peace of music, but I like it very much!

Into the Fire is yet another good heavy rock piece of art. Living Wreck is a more heavy ballad kind of song. The lyrics are good and instrumental parts are progressive (with the organ sounding like an screaming monster). Yet another fine offering.

Jesus had the best wine for the last moment, so did Deep Purple. Hard Lovin'Man is the ultimate rock experience. The atmosphere is psychadelic and a bit fearfull. I think this is the song with the best vocal parts, the screams of Ian Gillan are legendary! Along with Made in Japon this record goes into the history as one of my most special vocal abilities records. Never seen again after this recording! The end brings us to where we came from: Great guitar experimentation that keeps getting weirder in the and when only the guitar is left. At it's last moment you can hear the guitar accompanied by a falling drop of water and the last notes are played.

THIS IS HARD ROCK. A legendary record for the genre. For prog however, an excellent addition but no masterpiece. It wasn't a very influental record for progressive rock, but it's a musthave for every-one who likes music. Four stars!

friso | 4/5 |