Arena - The Cry CD (album) cover

Arena

friso
3 stars A special compilation

It is!

This is an hard to discribe effort by neo progressive master Arena. It could have been a soundtrack of a great movie. It opens with the best version of the Cry i know. The acoustic guitars and the gentle synts make it a nice songs. The offering and Problem line are almost electronic compositions with almost nothing but keyboards and sound effects. Not very progressive, but emotinally very strong! If you wouldn't know it, you wouldn't recognize Arena in it though.

Then came Isolation. This is one the most beatifull guitar pieces I ever listened to! I directly wanted to play this guitar part myself. A short masterpiece of guitarmusic. Fallen Idols only misses Enya starting to sing. This sounds very New age like, but it's an o.k. song for a special compilation. Guidance is a great moviesoundtrack like track with opera vocals and a lots of synts. Atsmospheric!

Only Child is a song! This we realy started to miss, for we were listening for instrumentals for over 20 minutes now. For the Script for a Jester's Tear fanatics this a great theatheric song. I like it very much. Somehow by excluding it for so far, the guitar solo at the end gives an extra warm feeling. I've missed it, and yet - there it is! Stolen Promisses is an mideavel instrumental track, not very special but it fits in. .

The Healer is the masterpiece of this EP. One of the better Arena progressive rock tracks. It's heavy, rythmicly strange and very Arena-like. Some Genesis can be found on this one. A great ending for a stange records.

Strange as it is... I realy got attached to this one! Why I don't know... the good moments are just so satisfying! And the instrumental songs are just so moving. If you want a peacefull record in you collection I would recommend this one! It ook me some time to understand this cd, but I wouldn´t want to miss it for it makes me kind of happy every time I listen to it. An X-factor? I don't know.

Three Stars. But a great offering! It just works perfectly for me.

friso | 3/5 |