Queensr˙che - The Warning CD (album) cover

3 stars Queensryche - 'The Warning' 3 stars

Warning: The progressive metal begins here.

This album, in my opinion, is definitively the start of progressive metal. Their main competitor, Fates Warning, grew into a progressive metal band. Queensryche had it going from the start, albeit they needed a little bit of work done, that aside I consider this progressive metal. The important signs were already in place, with some nice drumming, an artistic form the so many metal bands lacked. Geoff Tate is also a reference point for a progressive metal vocalist, his job on here is very exceptional, but he got even better later in the Queensryche career. Chris DeGarmo is one of my favorite guitarists. He really jump started the idea of creating riffs that were unpredictable and sounded all in all.excellent.

This album still surprised me after all the progressive metal albums I have listened to in the past few years. It is definitely dated, which is too big of a deal as most albums do, but it wasn't merely a fossil, there was still fresh idea, cool chops and riffs. There is also plenty of time signature changes and examples of great technicality. I wouldn't pass off this band as being obsolete, as far as the old catalogue goes. Three stars for being a good album, even to this day.

ProgBagel | 3/5 |