Kansas - Drastic Measures  CD (album) cover

Kansas

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
2 stars Going Through The Motions

This was the second, and last, album with John Elefante on vocals before Steve Walsh would once again return to the band. While Vinyl Confessions was quite acceptable, Drastic Measures is a bit less good and in my opinion this is the worst Kansas album ever. As such it is not that awful actually! Surely this is extremely far away from Point Of Know Return or Leftoverture in quality and Prog content, but those two albums were masterpieces of progressive Rock, after all!

The lyrics are the weakest link here, but there are some interesting ones to say the least! Andi, for example, is a song about a boy who wants to be a lady!! Unusual theme for a hard rocking band to explore, I would say! Mainstream and Going Through The Motions are very dangerous song titles for any band to use, because it surely invites reviewers to apply these terms to the band (a bit like they did to Jethro Tull when they released Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young To Die). And it is not completely out of place to do so here I'm afraid. Several songs are about the Rock 'N' Roll life and associated themes. A bit self-indulgent.

Fight Fire With Fire is a very good Hard Rock song, though. But in terms of instrumental breaks this album does not offer very much. But there are a few of them. For the average Prog fan nothing here is very exiting. The biggest problem (apart from the lyrics) is that the songs, even though listenable, are not memorable enough. For Kansas fans this might still be enjoyable (I enjoy it to some degree, but I'm a big Kansas fan), but it still is not quite enough to bring it up to 'good' status in my book. It is, however, about as good as Yes' 90125, Genesis' Abacab and Queen's Hot Space (all released around the same time).

Drastic Measures is the least interesting Kansas album, recommended for fans and collectors only.

SouthSideoftheSky | 2/5 |