Rush - Rush in Rio CD (album) cover

4 stars The R-30 show will always hold a place in my heart as it was the first Rush item I ever owned. However, I feel that RUSH IN RIO has a better setlist. The inclusion of several instrumentals like ''YYZ'', ''La Villa Strangiato'' and ''Leave That Thing Alone'' made the difference for me. We also get the full instrumental beginning of ''Cygnus X-1'', ''By-Tor and the Snow Dog'' and ''The Trees'' for the Rush fan from the prog era. However, some of the better 80's and 90's tunes are here as well such as ''The Big Money'', ''Driven'' and ''New World Man'', and some of the VAPOR TRAILS stuff like ''One Little Victory'' and ''Earthshine'' is worth listening to. And you can't go wrong in my book if ''Natural Science'' is included.

The crowd may get in the way of someone's enjoyment of the show, but not mine. The Rio crowd really gives life to the concert, especially when they start singing to the instrumental ''YYZ''. I believe that this will be an all-time classic DVD sometime in the distant future and is worth watching to see Rush still have a ton of energy even after nearly 30 years of existence.

Sinusoid | 4/5 |