RUSH IN RIO

Buy RUSH Music
DVD/Video, released in 2003

DVD 1: The Show

1. Tom Sawyer (5:04)
2. Distant Early Warning (4:50)
3. New World Man (4:04)
8. Bravado (6:18)
9. The Big Money (6:03)
10. The Trees (5:12)
11. Freewill (5:48)
12. Closer To The Heart (3:04)
13. Natural Science (8:34)
14. One Little Victory (5:32)
15. Driven (5:22)
16. Ghost Rider (5:36)
17. Secret Touch (7:00)
18. Dreamline (5:10)
19. Red Sector A (5:16)
20. Leave That Thing Alone (4:59)
21. O Baterista (8:54)
22. Resist (4:23)
23. 2112
24. Limelight (4:29)
25. La Villa Strangiato (10:05)
26. The Spirit Of Radio (5:28)
27. By-Tor & The Snow Dog - Cygnus X-1 - Working Man (13:34)

DVD 2:
- The Documentary: The Boys in Brazil (a film by Andrew MacNaughtan)
- MX Multiangle:

- Alex Lifeson / guitars, vocals
- Neil Peart / drums, percussion

Coming Home / Anthem Entertainment Cat. No.: 66825-1099-9

and to medeis75 for the last updates

RUSH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RUSH Rush in Rio Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987
Mercury 2003
Left Field Media
Permanent WavesPermanent Waves
SignalsSignals
Mercury 1997
Rush In Rio 2-Disc live DVD Set Geddy Lee Neil Peart Alex Lifeson US $9.98 Buy It Now 33m 28s
Rush R30 30th Anniversary Tour live Blu-ray Geddy Lee Neil Peart Alex Lifeson US $14.98 Buy It Now 36m 58s
Rush to War (DVD, 2007) iraq bonus plamegate new US $2.95 Buy It Now 43m 4s
Rush Snakes & Arrows live Blu-ray Disc Geddy Lee Neil Peart Alex Lifeson US $13.45 Buy It Now 43m 49s
Rush Time Machine Live in Cleveland Blu-ray Geddy Lee Neil Peart Alex Lifeson US $13.45 Buy It Now 45m 5s
Rush Clockwork Angels Tour live Blu-ray Disc Geddy Lee Neil Peart Alex Lifeson US $13.45 Buy It Now 46m 6s
Rush (DVD, 2002) Jason Patric Jennifer Jason Leigh US $21.99 Buy It Now 50m 16s
"Rush" Exit...Stage Left the movie SelectaVision VideoDisc Rca US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Gold Rush (DVD, 2003, 2-Disc Set, Two Disc Set) US $1.89 [0 bids]
Rush Hour (DVD, 1999, Platinum Series) US $1.49 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 3 (DVD, 2007) US $1.75 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001) US $1.75 [0 bids]
Rush - Grace Under Pressure Tour - 1986 VHS Tape / Prog. Hard Rock US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
GOLD RUSH 2002, Canada's Greatest Hockey Story Told, VHS, Team Canada, TSN, Ice US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Car 54, Where Are You? + The Snapper + Rush (VHS) Jason Patric / David Johansen) US $9.00 [0 bids]
Fools Rush In (DVD, 1998, Closed Caption; Subtitled French and Spanish) US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001) US $3.75 [0 bids]
House on Haunted Hill (VHS, 2000) GEOFFREY RUSH, FAMKE JANSSEN, HORROR HOUSE US $5.99 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 3 (DVD, 2007, O-Sleeve) US $1.00 [0 bids]
California Legacy 2000 Fountains Of Columbia VHS 1857 Gold Rush Town Documentary US $2.99 [0 bids]
Dinner Rush US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Quills - Geoffrey Rush Kate Winslet Joaquin Phoenix (DVD 2000) WS FAST SHIP US $8.38 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Rush Hour 1 and 2 DVD's -USED-Great condition US $0.99 [0 bids]
NIP Rush Hour 3 Staring Jackie Chan And Chris Tucker DVD * US $17.50 Buy It Now 3h 15m
'THE LIFE & DEATH OF PETER SELLERS' 2005 Region 4 DVD - Geoffrey Rush, C. Theron US $3.57 [0 bids]
Gold Rush Alaska New US $6.56 Buy It Now 3h 58m
DVD Lot! Bad Boys & Rush Hour! Bid starts @ $1.00 each! US $2.00 [0 bids]
4h
The Book Thief - dvd Sophie Nelisse, Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson. Drama US $5.00 [1 bids]
Premium Rush - Joseph Gordon Levitt, Michael Shannon - dvd US $8.90 Buy It Now 4h 16m
HArvie Krumpet - Geoffrey Rush, Kamahl - dvd US $8.90 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Premium Rush - Joseph Gordon-Levit, Michael Shannon, Dania Ramirez - DVD US $8.90 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Queen ELIZABETH 1+2 blu ray CATE BLANCHETT geoffrey rush Clive Owen Attenborough US $14.99 [0 bids]
Rush (DVD, 2014 Audio, English & Francais) US $8.22 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Premium Rush (Blu-ray Disc) US $6.85 [0 bids]
Strength Training EXERCISE DVD - Rush Fit STRENGTH & ENDURANCE WORKOUT! US $15.16 Buy It Now 7h 12m
White Rush (VHS, 2004) US $2.99 Buy It Now 7h 14m
Strength Training EXERCISE DVD - Rush Fit EXPLOSIVE POWER TRAINING! US $15.16 Buy It Now 7h 17m
(HK Edit)The King's Speech DVD~Colin Firth,Geoffrey Rush~On/Off Chinese Subtitle US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 21m
Rush Hour (Blu-ray Disc, 2010) US $5.90 Buy It Now 7h 21m
Rush Hour 2 (VHS, 2001) US $1.00 [0 bids]
Strength Training EXERCISE DVD - Rush Fit FULL BODY STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING! US $15.16 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Fools Rush In VHS Tape US $10.00 [0 bids]
Rush Hour VHS / Jackie Chan /Chris Tucker US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001) US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h 48m
Rush Hour (VHS, 1999) US $1.49 [0 bids]
Taza, Son of Cochise (1954). Rock Hudson, Barbara Rush DVD. NEW/SEALED US $28.99 Buy It Now 9h 37m
RUSH - PASSAIC 1976 RARE DVD - NO WATERMARK - REGION FREE GEDDY LEE ALEX LIFESON US $17.95 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001) Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker "MINT " buy 2 or more n save US $1.50 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001) US $6.25 [0 bids]
RUSH HOUR(BLU-RAY INCLUDES ULTRAVIOLET) US $1.99 [1 bids]
Rush Hour 3 (Blu-ray Disc, 2007, 2-Disc Set) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 3 (DVD, 2007, O-Sleeve) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Pirates of the Caribbean Vhs. Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush,etc. PG-13, approx 143m US $1.00 Buy It Now 10h 21m
Les Miserables, Good DVD, Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush, Uma Thurman, Christopher A US $6.50 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Rush - Chronicles (VHS, 1990) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 3 (DVD, 2007, O-Sleeve) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Rush Hour (DVD, 1999, Platinum Series) US $1.99 [0 bids]
NEW 3 X DVD GOLD RUSH Alaska BONUS EDITION 3 DVD SET Dicovery Channel US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 40m
RUSH - R30: 30TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR [DVD BOXSET] - NEW DVD BOXSET US $25.52 Buy It Now 10h 40m
10 Dvd Lot Blade Trinity Spiderman Sahara Snow White Rush Hour National Treasure US $15.00 [0 bids]
Rush Hour (DVD, 1999, Platinum Series) US $0.99 Buy It Now 11h 17m
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001) US $0.99 Buy It Now 11h 17m
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001) US $5.99 [0 bids]
Rush Hour Trilogy 1 2 3 Set Collection (DVD) Jackie Chan Chris Tucker US $8.29 Buy It Now 11h 18m
August Rush (2008) double-sided DVD widescreen/fullscreen US $3.00 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001)Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 37m
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 3 (DVD, 2007, O-Sleeve) US $3.50 [0 bids]
Fools Rush In DVD Widescreen Version Matthew Perry Salma Hayek Andy Tennant US $6.98 Buy It Now 11h 56m
TWISTED : A Moto Comedy Ground Rush Films 40-min road trip adventure VHS US $19.00 Buy It Now 12h 6m
Rush Hour (DVD, 1999, Platinum Series) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rush Hour 2 (DVD, 2001) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Wild West Tech:gold Rush Tech - DVD Region 1 Brand New Free Shipping US $29.72 Buy It Now 12h 22m
RUSH * DVD * 2014 * RON HOWARD * BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED! US $17.50 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Rush Hour - Jackie Chan and Chris Tucketr US $0.99 [0 bids]
Dvd lot, pirates of the carribean 2 dvd's, rush hour 3, Mr & Mrs Smith US $6.99 [0 bids]
Fools Rush In (VHS, 1998, Closed Captioned) US $0.99 [0 bids]
13h
Come Blow Your Horn VHS Frank Sinatra Barbara Rush Jill St John Dan Blocker US $3.99 [1 bids]
RUSH CHRONICLES - The DVD Collection - used 2001 US $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 19m
RUSH Snakes & Arrows RARE OUT OF PRINT 5.1 SURROUND AUDIO DVD & INTERACTIVE DISC US $32.99 Buy It Now 13h 55m
Rush Hour 2 (Special Edition), DVD, Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker, Ziyi Zhang, John US $6.39 Buy It Now 14h
Rush Hour (DVD, 1999, Platinum Series) US $1.99 [0 bids]
14h
Rush - A Show of Hands - VHS US $9.99 [0 bids]
August Rush Blu-ray - New & Sealed! Region B US $15.19 Buy It Now 14h 16m
Big Time Rush: Season One, Vol. 1 (DVD, 2011, 2-Disc Set) US $7.50 Buy It Now 14h 16m
SWIMMING UPSTREAM - GEOFFREY RUSH & JUDY DAVIS - AUSSIE VHS US $26.78 Buy It Now 14h 17m
Rush - Greatest Hits 1974-1987 DVD Sampler USA Promo DVD 2003 Like New US $12.99 Buy It Now 14h 27m
Dinner Rush (DVD, WS/FS) Very Good/Disc Like New!~Mob/Crime US $5.24 Buy It Now 14h 30m
Elizabeth - The Golden Age (DVD, 2008) Cate Blanchett, Clive Owen, Geoffrey Rush US $3.99 Buy It Now 14h 31m
Rush Hour 2 The Movie DVD. US $1.25 [0 bids]
Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage Blu-ray US $16.29 Buy It Now 14h 43m
Gold Rush: Alaska [2 Discs] DVD US $11.31 Buy It Now 14h 44m
Rush Hour 3 Starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker DVD US $0.01 [0 bids]
Rush - A Show of Hands (VHS) US $3.49 Buy It Now 14h 52m
Rush Hour 2 Starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker DVD US $0.01 [0 bids]
The TAILOR OF PANAMA VHS PIERCE BRONSON GEOFFREY RUSH 6 US $1.17 Buy It Now 15h 5m
Rush Steelbook Kimchi Lenticular #388 US $120.00 [0 bids]
Rush - Beyond the Lighted Stage [2 DVD], New DVD, Rush, Sam Dunn, Scot McFadyen US $18.70 Buy It Now 15h 15m
The Good Life-DVD-Deborah Rush, Bruce McGill, Drea de Matteo, Donal Logue, Chris US $8.68 Buy It Now 15h 17m

More places to buy RUSH music online Buy RUSH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RUSH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RUSH Rush in Rio ratings distribution

RUSH Rush in Rio reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars Great Rock Concert, Crazy Crowd!!!

Have you ever seen or involved in any rock concert where all the crowd sing a long while the lead singer is singing the lyrical part of the song? I bet that most of you have been in that situation. A good example is probably Queen live "Killers" or Iron Maiden "Rock in Rio". Yes, it's probably the case. But, let me honestly ask you : Have you ever seen or involved in a rock concert where all the crowd sing a long while the band plays an instrumental song? It's a tricky question actually : it's similar with the first question but the context is different now, there is no singer singing the melody of the song with lyrical passage. How can you sing while there is no singer required? That's exactly what happens with this live set: all (I repeat all!) crowd were singing the melody of an instrumental song "Yyz" while the band was playing it on stage. What amazes me really that the crowd voice is louder than the band's music!! Well, you must agree with me that Rio crowd is totally crazy ..!!!!!!! That suffices to say that this is definitely a GREAT rock concert of all time. Ghuszzz . I have never seen or listened to any recorded live material with this level of craziness of the people in Brazil. Wonderful man! (I imagine myself if I were in the crowd I would join them and had fun all along the show . Hmmm I envy on all rockers in Brazil man . They are truly rockers!!!)

The Concert - DVD One

I have always considered Rush music in an association with hard rock / heavy metal vein even though their composition has a very intense prog elements. With this kind of music I would have imagined that their music requires high energy to perform live. But these three gentlemen from Canada has amazed me - Yep, I am totally "rolled to the bone"!!) - with powerful performance they demonstrate through this recorded live DVD. From the start of the show with the band's masterpiece "Tom Sawyer" till brain surgery "intermission" and continues again with second part until it ends, they perform their music consistently with flawless delivery. Despite their age, they still rock the world man ..!!! Superb stamina and musicianship!!!

"Tom Sawyer" blasts the show off with a powerful sound combined with loud voice from the crowd. Wow!!! Man .. What a fantastic opening track! The sonic quality of the DVD is really awesome - it's probably due to the DTS technology. I keep the volume at my power amp relatively high to get a closer nuance of a true live show. Oh man . that voice .. yeah . that voice from the crowd is damn noisy but it's very lively - it's like putting me in the middle of the crowd! Music-wise, the band performs with practically no mistake at all - or if there is it's gone unnoticed. When the second track continues with a song from "Grace Under Pressure" album called "Distant Early Warning" - I cannot refrain myself from getting involved the crowd moves. Oh man . what a lively atmosphere!

The musicians perform really well with their jobs on stage. Geddy is the most mobile during the show as he walks back and forth from and to the location of keyboard. Alex stays stable at left side (crowd view) of the stage with his great guitar style. Neil Peart - oh man . he is at his best in this live version! He plays his drum set in a constant and well maintained stamina; fills in the musical gaps with energetic mood. He is still one of the best rock drummers. His drum solo in "O Baterista" is really SUPERB!

One thing that I learn through watching this DVD is the fact that I can appreciate more on tracks that I do not favor much in the "Vapor Trails" album like "Earthsine". I don't know why, I enjoy this live version despite that I do not like the album as a whole. Since I watch this DVD, I can enjoy this track. I also enjoy (very much) "Leave That Thing Alone" that I never liked it before (from the album "Counterparts"). But after I watch this DVD, I really like this energetic instrumental piece!

One of may favorite Rush tracks "Natural Science" is performed excellently. I remember the first time I purchased "Permanent Wave" album in the past and how amazed I was with this song. The cover version under "Working Man - A Tribute to Rush" is also an excellent outfit.

The Documentary and Multiangle - DVD Two

If in DVD One you can enjoy the full concert on stage, the DVD Two contains documentary part: "The Boys in Brazil". This is what I love about this DVD. I enjoy the documentary part as I enjoy the show because in this part I can learn more about the story behind the show without having to obtain a "Backstage Pass". (Well, if I were in Brazil, I would definitely try to get this pass to chat with the musicians).This part is used to build up my comprehensive understanding about Rush (in general) but especially about the show in Brazil.

Every single second of the documentary part I really enjoy it. It casts interview with each of the band's members, their rehearsal and practice before the show, their preparation for the Sao Paulo concert before Rio was taken place. The fans enthusiasm about the band members are also nice shot. I even amazed with the cast about a female die hard fan explaining how Rush means a lit for her - with tears on her eyes. Three members of Brazil's metal band SEPULTURA were also there in the show and documented in DVD Two. I wonder where the members of ANGRA when the show was performed?

I also love to know that in fact - as said by Geddy - the band did not have a chance to do the sound check and film check before the show. What it was shot was exactly the first shot the band got it and finally it became this DVD.

In addition to the documentary, there is also part on multiangle view provided (for three songs) so that we can focus to each member of the band during the song is performed.

Overall Recommendation

It's a highly recommended live DVD, rating 5 out of 5 as everything is just perfect rock concert! I purchased only the DVD version as I could not afford to buy the combo package. At the end, I found that it was a wise decision to get the DVD only as my friend told me the CD audio quality is not as excellent as the DVD. I guess it's probably the DTS technology. Keep on progging!

Yours progressively,

GW - Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#34235) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Review by Menswear
5 stars A real keeper.

To say the least, Rush ended victorious of the heavy marathon concerts that was Vapor Trails. The last performance was captured and they gave a fantastic performance. Rush fans really waited a long time to have them on DVD and to finally have REAL FOOTAGE outside the concerts. Oh brother, it was ABOUT CROAKING TIME! Take the time to listen to the rich documentary they've produced. This is a great gift for fans like me. To see them in some more relax time is priceless.

Who knew: they were so big in Brazil? what kind of crap hit on them in the Brazilian tour? that Geddy's hair could get so frizzy? the story behind Neil's tragedy? what's a shrimp cut? what's that soup they're taking about?

Alex Lifeson's laugh out loud humor, Neil's constant reading, Geddy's human approach with the crew, the easter eggs full of surprises, the songs you love played with a heavy approach, Neil's biggest and baddest solo yet, the super lighting show, a crazy crowd, Alex and Charlene in bed sharing fun jokes, a chance to see Geddy's wife, a warming fraternity moment between Alex and Neil, Neil practicing in secret, fans meeting their heroes, members of Sepultura talking about their love for Rush, the most excellent crew fixing the stage, a trip in a van through the streets of Rio, Alex signing autographs for fans, each members saying something nice about each other...

This is a gift from above. So complete it makes you wanna cry.

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#34240) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

Review by Zitro
3 stars A very energetic concert but ... I never heard a concert DVD with horrible sound mix and quality ... did they actually forgot to do a soundcheck here? and besides, the crowd drowns the music, which is something I do not like.

The song selection could have been better : too many poppy tunes of the 90s and few long songs like Xanadu.

The good thing of the album is that the musicians (if they can be heard) play at their very best here. Examples being the beautiful yessy guitar solo of Alex in La Villa Strangiato, and the 8 minute long drum solo.

I do not recommend this DVD unless you don't mind having the crowd drowning the band when singing alone, even during an instrumental! (YYZ).

My Grade: C

Send comments to Zitro (BETA) | Report this review (#41742) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 05, 2005

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars A great concert, but muddy audio hurts the overall perfect score. Rush's first time in Rio was also a great chance for them to record a live DVD, so they took it upon themselves to record possibly the best concert of the Vapor Trails tour. Beginning energetically with Tom Sawyer and concluding with power on Working Man, a brilliant mix of old and new material is played superbly, although the audio takes a toll with overly powerful snare and bass drum and a very muddy guitar. Lifeson plays brilliantly, but is a bit sloppy on the solos, Lee is spot on, but his bass is too twangy for my taste, and Peart is precise and perfect as always, but has a snare drum sound that is a bit annoying.

Imagine the band playing the songs on the CD version of this concert and you get the picture. Lifeson is as snappy as always on stage and he gets very into the music, Peart looks on pensively and plays the songs effortlessly, and Lee looks on with optimism and makes the mood very welcome. The crowd is excited and even chants along during the instrumentals (that's right, the instrumentals). The second DVD features some nice Multi-Angle shots for YYZ, El Baterista, and La Villa Strangiato and a splendid documentary on the tour for Vapor Trails. There is an easter egg that unlocks some footage of them playing Anthem back in 1975.

Overall, this is a great DVD. The set is superb and they are performed very well. But now that R30 is out, you might want to check that out first. Although there are 8 songs missing that are all featured on this DVD, I would still recommend that over this. It is a lot more balanced and has better sound and features. This is a great DVD in its own right, and you should check this out as soon as you can. 4/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#58361) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 28, 2005

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This is a very good DVD concert, with Rush playing with energy some of their best songs from their discography. But I agree that the sound is not very good. The mixing has several problems:Geddy Lee`s voice is not very clear in the mix, the same happens with some parts of the keyboards. I think that this is a very often problem with concerts being filmed and recorded in open air stadiums, because the acoustics of the place are not as good as in other venues. But the band sounds very good despite the fact that they were out of action for 5 or 6 years due to personal problems of drummer Neil Peart. The keyboard sounds also changed due to the use of the new technology since the eighties. This is very clear mainly in the song called "Distant Early Warning".

The setlist is very varied with a good balance of "new" and "old" songs. The inclusion of "Natural Science" is a very good choice. The audience`s response to their playing is great, with the audience singing the lyrics of the songs with the band. The band looks surprised in some parts to this response.

In conclusion, this is a good DVD with shows the band in very good shape.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#98727) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Review by Sinusoid
4 stars The R-30 show will always hold a place in my heart as it was the first Rush item I ever owned. However, I feel that RUSH IN RIO has a better setlist. The inclusion of several instrumentals like ''YYZ'', ''La Villa Strangiato'' and ''Leave That Thing Alone'' made the difference for me. We also get the full instrumental beginning of ''Cygnus X-1'', ''By-Tor and the Snow Dog'' and ''The Trees'' for the Rush fan from the prog era. However, some of the better 80's and 90's tunes are here as well such as ''The Big Money'', ''Driven'' and ''New World Man'', and some of the VAPOR TRAILS stuff like ''One Little Victory'' and ''Earthshine'' is worth listening to. And you can't go wrong in my book if ''Natural Science'' is included.

The crowd may get in the way of someone's enjoyment of the show, but not mine. The Rio crowd really gives life to the concert, especially when they start singing to the instrumental ''YYZ''. I believe that this will be an all-time classic DVD sometime in the distant future and is worth watching to see Rush still have a ton of energy even after nearly 30 years of existence.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#194295) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 18, 2008

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
5 stars The spirit of Rush captured live before an enthusiastic crowd

"Rush In Rio" is undoubtedly one of the best live records in the extensive Rush catalogue. Unlike some of the other live DVD concerts, this one features a lively crowd that insist on singing every line of every song and their enthusiasm is infectious. It always brings a warm feeling to hear them singing all the notes, even in the instrumentals. This is definitely one of the best DVDs of the power trio along with "Snakes and Arrows Live".

There are some brilliant moments to savour as a visual and oral experience. Lee, Lifeson and Peart are at their best, Lee is especially terrific on vocals, when his voice was powerful and dynamic. There are about 160 minutes of quintessential Rush favourites. Highlights abound such as Tom Sawyer, YYZ, where the crowd holler out every note and bounce like a football crowd, The Pass, Freewill, Closer to the Heart and a wonderful version of Natural Science, a track that drew me to the "Permanent Waves" album. There are incredible performances of One Little Victory, Leave That Thing Alone, Resist, and a 7 minute edited version of 2112. At least it is here but I rather the version on "All The World's A Stage"/

The last part of the concert is my favourite as it features indispensable classics such as Limelight, La Villa Strangiato, The Spirit of Radio, By-Tor and the Snow Dog, and a tacked on tiny version of Cygnus X-1. My favourite is Working Man, and it is given a wonderful treatment in Rio.

There are some unusual additions on DVD 2 with the most compelling documentary I have seen in years. The fly on the wall treatment of seeing what goes on behind the scenes is fascinating and worth the price of admission alone.

This concert is a lengthy but triumphant Rush paradise. The performances are faultless and it is full of energy and power from start to finish. Pick up this masterful DVD at all costs!

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#586334) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 11, 2011

3 stars I am not a fan of this group and bought this at a value price. The concert was entertaining and the songs sounded excellent. A lot of bands out there if they had sound engineers like they did on this album would have full schedules for some time to come. Good atmosphere to play the songs with ... (read more)

Report this review (#305514) | Posted by thewickedfall | Monday, October 18, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I have such mixed feelings about this DVD. On the one hand, you have just about everything you could possibly want: a complete concert, an amazingly energetic crowd singing along with every song (including the instrumental YYX - something you MUST see), outstanding video production. So what ... (read more)

Report this review (#174714) | Posted by MrMan2000 | Saturday, June 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is definitely a must-have for everyone who likes Rush even slightly. I'm slightly embarrased to admit that i heard Rush the first time quite recently. And i have to say that they went straight up as one of my all time favourites. I still will not make reviews of Rush' classic albums since s ... (read more)

Report this review (#161583) | Posted by delirium | Monday, February 11, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I read the booklet before I'd had the chance to sit and watch this. Indeed, I'd just installed a 5.1 sound system for the TV and this was its first real use! Best word to describe this? Mindblowing. They'd not played Brazil before, and freely admit they didn't realise their popularity there. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#137837) | Posted by oldgoat | Wednesday, September 12, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A pretty good show, good songs, nice energetic crowd. For those who don't know, their plane arrived late and they didn't have any time to do a soundcheck (risky business, since Neil Peart's MIDI Marimba was spazzing out the day before) . Fans were running in when they were still setting up t ... (read more)

Report this review (#114789) | Posted by kickflipthecat | Saturday, March 10, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Footage for this DVD was shot on the last night of Rush's first ever Brazil tour in 2002. Band's performance on it self is amazing but the song selection could be better. Song selection on this DVD is okay if you are only an occasional Rush listener and you want a summary of their career. For a m ... (read more)

Report this review (#98296) | Posted by blazno | Saturday, November 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Bought it the day it came out, loved it. DVD, Rio, Rush, hmmm, all I can say is that that is a recipie for brilliance. Touching in from all their great stages of life from Rush-Vapor Trails, this finishing product of the Vapor Trails tour is more or less a complete success. The choice of played s ... (read more)

Report this review (#93269) | Posted by Xeroth | Tuesday, October 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a really easy and short review: If you like Rush's studio work, you will most definately like this dvd. The only real difference between the two is the incredible crowd. This to me is more of a greatest hits dvd. It is very impressive to see them play this stuff live though. I wo ... (read more)

Report this review (#91481) | Posted by proghairfunk | Saturday, September 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars when i saw this dvd,i had only two rush albums.so i was face to face with two and a half hours of new rush material.also i havent seen any rush videoclips.well now i own lots of albums and i believe that the song selection is great.as far as what i saw is concerned,i saw 3 excellent musicians ... (read more)

Report this review (#66044) | Posted by | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars i love rush, but I saw this dvd, and I think that there were some problem with the mix of the sound, usually when tyhis sort of errors happens, the band argue that, they wanted to show a sound similar to the live sound, with echo, and scream of the brazilian crowd wich is one of the best crowd ... (read more)

Report this review (#59336) | Posted by | Tuesday, December 06, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I was there (!!!!) [and on the previous Sao Paulo show as well] and I felt like it was the gig of their lives. The DVD really captured the intensity of the audience and we (fans) really showed Rush that their craziest audiences are here in Brazil; everyone sang along every lyrics and instrumen ... (read more)

Report this review (#34243) | Posted by | Monday, May 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The only flaw appears to be some soundcheck errors -- other than that, this DVD is the gift that keeps on giving! Rush creatively lengthens their set list to cover all their favorite songs by about four times the average. The concert itself easily lasts for two to three hours if watched from ... (read more)

Report this review (#34242) | Posted by | Friday, May 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars To me, Rush is a REAL live band. And this DVD does the job. After a 5 year hiatus, the 3 stooges embarked on an exhaustive tour ending in Rio De Janero, Brazil filmed here for this disc. This is the first time they've ever toured Brazil. And you can tell it the way the audience reacts here. G ... (read more)

Report this review (#34241) | Posted by marktheshark | Monday, April 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars this DVD is a masterpiece, an outstanding contribution to prog. all the songs are played superbly. neil peart is just...... mind bogling, his drum solo surpasses any i have ever heard (including my own attempts), geddy shows himself to be an excelent bass player, solid and fluid. alex lifeson ... (read more)

Report this review (#34237) | Posted by | Sunday, March 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RUSH "Rush in Rio"