Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die CD (album) cover

MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE

Tortoise

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
3 stars Millions Now Living Will Never Die is the second studio album from US ( Chicago) experimental/ post rock act Tortoise. Their debut album never really fit my taste even though it had some great moments but Millions Now Living Will Never Die is a much more impressive album IMO and well deserving some praise from me.

The music on the album is generally dominated by the rythm section and what a rythm section that is. Highly skilled musicians. Vibes, organ and occasional guitars are also a part of the soundscape. The album starts with the 20 minute Djed. An excellent experimental track. It´s not that it has many different sections ( about five or six different ones during the playing time) but it never gets too repetitive and most of the sections are excellent. I especially enjoy the what I see as the third section of the song where the drums shift in rythm and the bass comes in after a lenghty break. Very powerful section with a great dark mood. The vibes in Glass Museum and Along the Banks of Rivers gives the music a lounge jazzy touch that soothes my ears and in the case of the latter I´m reminded of some of Angelo Badalamenti´s work on David Lynch movie soundtracks. A Survey and Dear Grandma and Grandpa are pretty short and more ambient tracks which is not my favorite style. My favorite here must be The Taut and Tame. What a great rythmic song. Really excellent.

The musicianship is excellent which isn´t surprising if you´ve listened to the debut which also had excellent musicianship. This time around the songs are interesting too though.

The production is excellent as well. Note the dominant bass in the mix and the dry snare drum sound. It sounds so powerful to my ears.

Millions Now Living Will Never Die is a big step forward from Tortoise debut album IMO and might be worth a 4 star rating. I´m still in doubt though and for now it will be a BIG 3 star rating from me.

UMUR | 3/5 |