Tortoise - TNT CD (album) cover

TNT

Tortoise

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
3 stars Released on the 10th of March 1998, TNT is the third studio album from experimental US ( Chicago) rock act Tortoise. I was happy with Tortoise last album Millions Now Living Will Never Die (1996) which I found to be a big improvement over the somewhat inconsistent and unstructured self-titled debut Tortoise (1994). TNT takes the sound from Millions Now Living Will Never Die and gives it a twist.

The music is very diverse and alternates between dusty lounge jazzy rock pieces to ambient electronica. But as with the two first albums from Tortoise rythm is an important part of their music. The bass is not as dominant and loud in the mix as on Millions Now Living Will Never Die. There are lots of vibes in the music which gives the music its jazzy touch. The music is fully instrumental.

The musicianship is excellent. A really well playing band.

The production is warm and pleasant and the electronic parts are also well sounding and natural.

It has taken me a while to get into TNT and on initial listens I was not as intrigued about it as I was after listening to Millions Now Living Will Never Die. I┤m still more into that album but TNT is a good album too. It might be a bit too long with its 64:48 minutes, and sometimes during the playing time the music is reduced to pleasant background muzak for me, but I┤m sure that┤s just me and my generel taste in music speaking. A 3 star rating is deserved though.

UMUR | 3/5 |