Deep Purple - Deep Purple CD (album) cover

Deep Purple

Sgt. Smiles
4 stars Legend Of Zelda soundtrack?

I bought this cd for 3 dollars from one of those drug-store discount bins. Best impulse buy of my life! At the time I was unfamiliar with anything from Mark I (except Hush), but Mark I is easily my favorite now. Although keys take a role on much of their catalogue, never were they utilized with such power. It's a shame the band altered their direction after this release, for they had a great psychadelic/blues thing going.

I come from the Nintendo generation, and the original Legend of Zelda was a staple back then. I don't know who wrote the orchestral parts of April (the closing track), but the Legend of Zelda has almost identical music and sound effects. I can't listen to the beginning of that song without picturing a sword-weilding elf fighting various dungeon creatures on his quest to save the princess. Youtube it, you'll agree.

On with the album- Chasing Shadows is a fun song with a great driving rhythm and is a solid opener, followed by Blind, my personal favorite. The ending to Blind is perfectly intense. Lalena is a Donovan cover, and not a bad one. Moody and fitting here. Faultline is an effects filler, but I like it and it leads well into the Painter, which is a decent rock song. Why Didn't Rosemary? is my least favorite track on the album. Not a bad song at all, just out of place and sounding of later Deep Purple works. Bird Has Flown is a pretty song with an enchanted feel, much like the epic closer.

Chasing Shadows(9/10) Blind(10/10) Lalena(7.5/10) Faultline(7/10...for a filler) The Painter(6/10) Why Didn't Rosemary?(3/10) Bird Has Flown(7/10) April(10/10)

Although not a masterpiece by any means, this album is absolutely underappreciated, and will likely be one of my top 25 favorites for life. A true gem. 4.25 stars.

Sgt. Smiles | 4/5 |