Between The Buried And Me - Colors CD (album) cover

COLORS

Between The Buried And Me

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Colors' - Between The Buried And Me (8/10)

For a very, very long time, I hated Between the Buried and Me. I viewed them as Metalcore 'straight- edge' garbage that played music for 14 year old emo-kids to thrash to. Even when I saw them live (opening for Dream Theater and Opeth for the ProgNation tour) I couldn't stand them, and spent the majority of their set conversing with friends. However, upon wider listening to their repetoire, I started to notice why they have such a prog following to them. Despite alot of leanings towards metalcore- esque music, their music started to dawn on me as having alot of credibility, and carefully composed technicality to it. Although I (for the most part) cannot stand their previous works, Between the Buried and Me's 2007 effort 'Colors' emphasizes their Prog Rock side just enough to make me enjoy it.

Although there are still (after 20+ listens from start to finish) parts of the album that still sound too noisy and thrashy, there is alot of intelligence to keep the music flowing. There are even a suprising amount of moments on the album where I got chills from listening to it. From the piano-driven first track, to the post-rock section of 'Ants In The Sky' and even the famed bluegrass section, this has the ability to raise your eyebrow in question, touch your heart, and give you a dose of 'hardcore' metal that at times can be decently enjoyable if taken as it is.

There was a point (when I first started to truly enjoy this album) I would give this a 5-star rating, simply because of how technically brilliant it is. But despite this being one of the most technically accomplished albums I've ever listened to (I mean that too!) there are just those few parts that are a little too reminiscent of their earlier work that robs them of the perfect rating. Also, some of their lyrics I found annoying. Although theres some sense of poeticism in their words, writting an entire song, in essence about how awesome they are as a band (White Walls) can get tiresome. Especially in the prog metal genre, that sort of pretenious lyricism can really wear thin.

However, flaws aside, I found myself amazed by the sheer technical talent and cohesion of this band. It's definately not an album for everyone (I certainly can't see too many Marillion fans loving this album - although ironically, I love that band) but if you can withstand an hour of ear-shattering jaw dropping madness, then by all means, this album is recommended!

Conor Fynes | 4/5 |