Genesis - Duke CD (album) cover

DUKE

Genesis

horsewithteeth11
2 stars An exercise in mediocrity.

Actually, mediocrity might be a bit kinder and gentler than I tend to mean. This is the beginning of Genesis' long downslide out of the graces of prog fans. Some people wonder why I don't like Genesis as much as other 70s giants such as Gentle Giant, King Crimson, or Yes. It's all because of what started here.

No, I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad album, but considering that I'm not as big of a fan of the band as most people on this site (I for one think they only ever made two, maybe three, masterpieces), this album still has a few good songs in Duchess, Cul-De-Sac, and Duke's Travels. However, that's pretty much where any enjoyment in this album ends for me. The rest feels too much like bland pop, despite me thinking of this album as more pop-prog. This is however the last Genesis album that will have any trace of prog on it as far as I'm concerned. I think Genesis fans will enjoy this one more, but if you're not a huge fan of them, then this 2 star album is one you don't need in your collection.

horsewithteeth11 | 2/5 |