Genesis - Duke CD (album) cover

DUKE

Genesis

Patrick_Schlies
5 stars Ahhh.... Duke. My favorite album of all time. Yep, I said it. Now before all the Gabriel worshipers burn me at the stake, I must say that Selling England and The Lamb are two of my all time favorites as well. It's just this album is better. First of all, the songs are shorter, meaning there are many more songs than on Gabriel era albums. This allows many ideas to be displayed on the album and adds a variety of sounds. The opening of Behind the Lines is perhaps the best intro to any song ever (excluding Firth of Fifth), and the way Mike's Guitar comes in and out of Tony's chords is orgasmic, and sets up the album really well. Duchess has a slow drum machine buildup that explodes with Phil's emotional vocals. Simply put, it's a beautiful song. Guide Vocal, although only a minute and a half long, is beautiful as well. Then we get to Man of Our Times. Oh Boy, I love this one. The arpeggiated keyboards, Phil's incredible drumming, it's all mind blowing, not to mention the chorus that melts my face off. Next is the big hit, Misunderstanding. Its so damn catchy, and is the first Genesis song solely written by Collins. Heathaze is a sad Banks song, with an amazing fretless bass line. Then on side two we're treated to Turn it on Again. Another hit, this time with guns blazing. This song is a bulldozer that keeps chugging. Than we reach Alone Tonight. A lovely ballad that could've easily been a hit. Cul De Sac is one of the most underrated Genesis songs, and had it been made early in the bands career, it would've been a side long epic. This song is truly breathtaking, it's just too short! Please Don't Ask is one of the only Genesis songs that makes me cry, and I'm glad the band chose to put this song on the album instead of In The Air Tonight. Finally Duke's End and Duke's Travel's. An epic instrumental jam that builds to a refrain of guide vocal closed off with an eerie recorder. Duke's end is a reprise of Behind The Lines and leaves you satisfied with your life once the record ends. This album changed my life, and if you haven't listened to it, just know you've been missing out. I was amazed the first time I listened to it, and I like it more every new listen. Few albums can do that.
Patrick_Schlies | 5/5 |