Sigur Rs - Von Brigi CD (album) cover

VON BRIGI

Sigur Rs

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
2 stars Von Brigi is an album with remixes of songs from Icelandic experimental rock act Sigur Ros debut album Von (1997). Its a rare album that is only available on Iceland or through the bands online store. An LP with four songs from the album was also released in 100 green-coloured copies. A real collectors item.

My first experience with Sigur Ros was through their debut album Von and I was not impressed. Repetitive and ambient soundscapes with almost no fix points or memorable parts was my analysis of that album. The songs have been given a shot of electronica on Von Brigi and have become a bit more interesting to me. I still wouldnt say the music is to my taste but the electronic rythms does give the songs more direction and power than was the case on Von. The music is still very ambient though and mostly instrumental. The songs with vocals are the most enjoyable to me so Myrkur (recycled By Dirty-bix), Hn Jr (recycled By Hassbrur) and Leit Af Lfi does give me some satisfaction. The vocals from Jn or Birgisson has an airy glass-like quality to them and they are very atmospheric.

The musicianship is good and the production is pleasant. Crystal cold and clear but still with some organic warmth.

There are elements on the album that I find enjoyable but overall this is not an album that I find very interesting but then again Im usually not a fan of electronica or ambient music so fans of those genres might find Von Brigi more interesting than me. For me this is a 2 star album.

UMUR | 2/5 |