Kansas - Leftoverture CD (album) cover

5 stars This was one of my first progressiva rock albums. At first, I just liked Carry on the Wayward son, a really great mix of progreesive rock and AOR. It's definitive one of my faovorite rock songs of all time. However, don't excpect the whole album to have this kind of sound, the rest of it is more harmonic and symphonic with violins and keyboards joining the organ and the electric guitar. Right after the fastest song comes the slowest, the beutiful The Wall. Accoustic guitars, keyboards and an organ makes up for a great track. Whats On My Mind follows. It's much like the first track, but somewhat slower tempo and as good, even if it's a very good song. Miracles out of nowhere is one of the best songs here, maybe even better than Carry On the Wayward son. It's a symphonic track with many violins, electric guitars, keyboards and basicly everything this album has to offer. One of those really excellent moments in prog when everything fits right in and forms an epic masterpiece. I would call the second haft of the album somewhat weaker. Not as many differences between the songs, and a slightly over pretensious feeling over some of them if you aren't in the right mood. However all songs are good, with Magnum Opusand Opus Insert being nearly as good as Carry On... and Miracles Out Of Nowhere.

With at least three song being some of the finest in prog rock history and with all songs being classified at least very good, this album certanly deserves the five star ranking.

Eastvillage | 5/5 |