Mogwai - Mr. Beast CD (album) cover

MR. BEAST

Mogwai

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
4 stars Mr. Beast is the fifth full-length studio album by Scottish experimental/ post rock act Mogwai. I had a hard time with the first two album by the band but fell in love with their music after listening to their third effort Rock Action (2001). Their fourth album Happy Songs For Happy People (2003) cemented my interest in the band and Mr. Beast is definitely another good album from the band.

While the two predecessors had a similar style its obvious that Mogwai wanted to try something different on Mr. Beast. The music is still almost instrumental all the way through even though there are more vocals here than on any other Mogwai album before Mr. Beast. The difference between Mr. Beast and its two predecessors is that Mogwai has added a heavy element to some of the songs on the album. Im almost reminded of post metal in songs like Were No Here, I Chose Horses ( the ending) and especially Glasgow Mega-Snake. Mr. Beast is of course much more than a couple of heavy riffs though and the melodic building structures that was by then a trademark in Mogwais sound is very much present here. There are some beautiful piano motifs on the album as well ( just listen to Friend of the Night) that really adds to the generally melancholic mood. Acid Food, Travel is Dangerous and I Chose Horses which are the songs with vocals are all strong, but the vocals are rather restrained and dont stand out as something unique. They are great for the atmosphere on the album though and great for the diversity too.

The musicianship is excellent. All musicians understand the importance of dynamics in music and together they create some great interplay.

The production is excellent. A bit more raw than what weve become used to with the last couple of albums and I think its a great development. Who should have thought that Mogwai would suddenly bite? ( well they are not called Gizmo, so I probably should have expected to get bitten at some point).

Mr. Beast is now the third album in a row from Mogwai that I rate 4 stars. Its not every day that I am impressed by new music I listen to but Mogwai has really opened up a new world to me. Its taken some time to appreciate their music. At first I was intrigued, but not really impressed, but the music has grown on me and Im really glad that I gave them a chance. I cant wait to see what they have to offer on their next album.

UMUR | 4/5 |