Oliver Wakeman - The 3 Ages Of Magick (with Steve Howe) CD (album) cover

THE 3 AGES OF MAGICK (WITH STEVE HOWE)

Oliver Wakeman

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
4 stars Two generations of magic

As a complete Steve Howe fanatic, I had to check this album out. Steve plays on several tracks - both acoustic and electric guitars. I was surprised about how good this album is, and not just because Steve plays on it.

Oliver has picked up more than a few tricks from his father. Their playing styles are indeed very similar. Rick has taught both his sons very well. But I would not say that Oliver doesn't bring anything new. I don't think that this album just as well could have been a Rick Wakeman album - Oliver has developed his own style. What impressed me the most was not the playing but Oliver's ability to write music. This is very good instrumental material. The album is varied yet consistent and does not get boring half way through as so many instrumental albums do.

The music is something of a crossover between Rick Wakeman and Mike Oldfield. The Celtic influences and instruments stand out in particular. But this is hardly New Age music even if some tracks have that feeling. This music has much more punch than New Age music. Some tracks really rock! In their own kind of way.

For fans of Rick and Steve, give Oliver a chance.

SouthSideoftheSky | 4/5 |