THE 3 AGES OF MAGICK (WITH STEVE HOWE)

Oliver Wakeman

Oliver Wakeman The 3 Ages Of Magick (with Steve Howe) album cover

rock music collection

Buy OLIVER WAKEMAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Ages Of Magick (5:48)
2. Mind Over Matter (4:02)
3. The Forgotten King (3:02)
4. The Storyteller (3:42)
5. The Whales Last Dance (4:30)
6. Time Between Times (5:03)
7. Flight Of The Condor (4:48)
8. Lurey And The Mermaid (3:02)
9. Standing Stones (4:31)
10. The Enchanter (6:04)
11. The Healer (4:18)
12. Through The Eyes Of A Child (2:13)
13. Hy Breasail (8:38)

- Dave Wagstaffe / drums, percussion
- Tim Buchanan / bass
- Tony Dixon / uilleann pipes, whistles, flute
- Jo Greenland / violin

CD Resurgence RES144CD (2001)

and to SouthSideoftheSky for the last updates

OLIVER WAKEMAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy OLIVER WAKEMAN The 3 Ages Of Magick (with Steve Howe) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
The 3 Ages of MagickThe 3 Ages of Magick
ChakrasChakras
Disky Records 2002
Heaven's IsleHeaven's Isle
MMP
The 3 Ages of Magick by Oliver Wakeman (2013-11-05)The 3 Ages of Magick by Oliver Wakeman (2013-11-05)
Cleopatra
Cleopatra
Chakras by Oliver WakemanChakras by Oliver Wakeman
Disky Records

More places to buy OLIVER WAKEMAN music online Buy OLIVER WAKEMAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

OLIVER WAKEMAN The 3 Ages Of Magick (with Steve Howe) ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(23%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(47%)

OLIVER WAKEMAN The 3 Ages Of Magick (with Steve Howe) reviews

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Two generations of magic

As a complete Steve Howe fanatic, I had to check this album out. Steve plays on several tracks - both acoustic and electric guitars. I was surprised about how good this album is, and not just because Steve plays on it.

Oliver has picked up more than a few tricks from his father. Their playing styles are indeed very similar. Rick has taught both his sons very well. But I would not say that Oliver doesn't bring anything new. I don't think that this album just as well could have been a Rick Wakeman album - Oliver has developed his own style. What impressed me the most was not the playing but Oliver's ability to write music. This is very good instrumental material. The album is varied yet consistent and does not get boring half way through as so many instrumental albums do.

The music is something of a crossover between Rick Wakeman and Mike Oldfield. The Celtic influences and instruments stand out in particular. But this is hardly New Age music even if some tracks have that feeling. This music has much more punch than New Age music. Some tracks really rock! In their own kind of way.

For fans of Rick and Steve, give Oliver a chance.

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Prog Team
4 stars Oliver seems to be more busy than his brother these days. In the next issue I will be reviewing his new album with Clive Nolan, but first here is an instrumental album that he has recorded with Steve Howe providing all of the guitar parts. I am indebted to Dave Wagstaffe (Landmarq etc) who plays drums on this album, as it was only through his contact that I knew that this album had even been released.

To have not heard this would have been a shame as there are some glorious 'songs' to be heard. Steve seems inspired and produces some of his finest guitar work for a long time. The music is very emotive and the keyboards drive along in songs such as "Mind Over Matter" that make one feel that vocals would be an unwanted distraction. When reading the booklet it transpires that Karl Groom mixed the album and Rob Aubrey mastered it which is why the sound is so good.

In fact, the only disappointing thing about the album (love the front cover) is that it was released on Resurgence, which is an imprint of Voiceprint. This album deserves to be heard, and many prog fans would snap this up if only they knew that it was available. A prog album that can be enjoyed at all levels, first time.

Originally appeared in Feedback #65, Dec 01

Review by Matti
3 stars The recent re-release by Esoteric Recordings includes three previously unreleased tracks and lots of looking back at the time when the elder son of Rick Wakeman had made his solo debut and was friendly contacted by Steve Howe. The collaboration however didn't start immediately, and perhaps Howe's role in the end product was primarily one of a mentor and producer, and to a lesser portion one of a co-musician. At least I would have wanted to hear much more of his guitars. The arrangements are extremely keyboard-oriented.

I have no urge to compare Oliver to his famous father as I'm not a fan of the latter (I do appreciate his collaborations in YES, but his solo output is usually too overblown and pretentious to my taste), and furthermore this is the only album I've heard from Oliver this far, but why stubbornly avoid some inevitable comparisons either? Oliver's composing style is much softer, not quite as oriented to the showing off in the keyboard virtuosity - who would ever expect it to be either. The atmosphere often approaches New Age; nocturnal, slightly mysterious, deeply romantic and with the inevitable "Celtic" flavour. Yes, quite beautiful and pretty, but on the other hand a bit clichéd and toothless. As I only had the CD in loan, I chose the best tracks to keep, but frankly the number of them was a small minority, in the end. Back in the early nineties when I listened to a lot of New Age and such, I would have been much more impressed. Some more edge and richer arrangements, please!

5 stars This is a very good album, the combination between Oliver and Steve are excelent, I can see how Oliver takes the Rick's heritage but with his own style. is a serious work and worty to have. The ejecution is perfect and the band work as if there were playing for long time togeter. This album rem ... (read more)

Report this review (#179458) | Posted by Valeco | Tuesday, August 12, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I believe that only because of the name Wakeman, we should not compare than both, they lived in an diferent time, and the work of Oliver Wakeman is so good as many of the progressive rock at his time... I believe too that this album is much better than the 80's Yes albuns. Steve Howe show's t ... (read more)

Report this review (#119420) | Posted by Henrock | Monday, April 23, 2007 | Review Permanlink

1 stars You would think it unfair to compare keyboardist Oliver Wakeman to his more famous father, but there's practically no way to avoid doing so. Even had Oliver had another name and no familial connection to the old Strawbs and Yes keysman, there's one specific composer and player that is evoked by m ... (read more)

Report this review (#119087) | Posted by Teaflax | Friday, April 20, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of OLIVER WAKEMAN "The 3 Ages Of Magick (with Steve Howe)"