Genesis - Foxtrot CD (album) cover

FOXTROT

Genesis

Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Foxtrot' - Genesis (8/10)

This was the first album I ever bought solely on the recommendation of prog archives users. I was checking out HMV (I went there initially to see if their selection was still terrible) and I noticed they had some Genesis CDs lying about. The high acclaim for the band from members of this site suddenly came to mind, and I found myself looking through. I had honestly listened to very little actual Genesis before buying 'Foxtrot,' so as far as my personal enjoyment of it would go, buying 'Foxtrot' was a total shot in the dark. Going home, I slipped the CD into my sound system and I listened.

What a pleasant surprise. Because I am firmly rooted in the metal world, I haven't listened to too much Symphonic Prog, but I am so happy I purchased this. The first few listens of 'Foxtrot' however, I knew that it was excellent, but I wasn't quite sure whether or not it was up to par with the overwhelming appeal people seemed to harbour for it. After about ten or eleven spins though, I realized that the vast majority of the material (especially the highlight 'Supper's Ready') was still fresh as ever, and though I was able to predict everything that was coming next in the music while listening (even prog can be memorized) it had a very fresh sound to it, and especially for a year like 1972 when prog music was basically in it's infancy, the chronological context of the work only exacerbates it's designation as a classic.

While I'm generally used to heavier music such as Dream Theater and Opeth, I found Genesis' 'Foxtrot' anything but boring. A mere hour of music has validated (in my eyes) calling Genesis one of the greatest prog bands of all time. From now on, anytime I go music shopping, I'll keep an eye out for the Genesis section. A great thanks to this band for making such inspirational, intelligent and epic music!

Conor Fynes | 4/5 |