The Moody Blues - The Magnificent Moodies CD (album) cover

THE MAGNIFICENT MOODIES

The Moody Blues

UMUR
2 stars The Magnificent Moodies is the debut album by UK progressive pop/ rock artist The Moody Blues. This is the only Moody Blues album to feature guitarist Denny Laine and bassist Clint Warwick.

The style of music on The Magnificent Moodies differs greatly from what most people expect from a Moody Blues album. The style is RīnīB influenced and rather naive and simple. The songs are all single length ( 2-3 minutes long) and nothing sticks out as being innovative or progressive in any way. With titles like Can't Nobody Love You, Thank You Baby and Something You Got itīs very obvious which kind of lyrics are on the album. Itīs the kind of lyrics I associate with Doo-Wop from the fifties.

The musicianship is good and I especially enjoy the many vocal harmonies.

The production is good for the time.

Allthough The Magnificent Moodies is a representative album for the time itīs really not that interesting to my ears. Looking back at the album in a clear retrospective light there are so many other albums in the same style that was much better ( for example The Beatles mid-sixties albums) and I canīt give this album more than a 2 star rating. If you like the style youīll probably enjoy this more than me though.

UMUR | 2/5 |