Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade Of Gray CD (album) cover

A PLEASANT SHADE OF GRAY

Fates Warning

Barla
2 stars Mainly, I agree with the user Prog Leviathan's views about this album. This album could've done much better as an instrumental recording. There are a few exceptional instrumental passages, and the drumming is far above average. But the vocals, specially when he goes high pitched (in the more metal/rocker moments, like the two first songs who settle the mood for this conceptual piece), I feel the need to cut my veins: TERRIBLE! Actually, I think the best of this album is the MP3 sample on this site (parts 4 and 5), which features a great instrumental performance. The album is a bit too 'laid back' for my taste, it never 'launches' (musically speaking). That said, this album has, IMO, little inventive, a very bad singer, and decent band (specially the drummer; Kevin Moore here is waaay different from the work he did with DT, and he doesn't show off as he used to do).

Overall, this album gives me little need to keep exploring Fates Warning music, and this will be my first and last purchase of the band (at least for now).

Rating: 1.9/5