Queensr˙che - Operation : Mindcrime II CD (album) cover

4 stars Last chance at suicide

Luckily, this is not even close to a suicide attempt on Queensryche's part. I feel the album has been obtaining a lot of hate in part due to its name. I say this is a very solid album.

Some of the vigor and youthful vitriol that was found in the original is not found here, supplanted by a few same sounding mid tempo rockers. The operatic moments are still here, though. Some of the songs are a pure delight.

I'm American starts off fast and furious, especially in its cynical attitude towards America. The next few songs are good, but tend to fall into the same sounding mid tempo rock that seems to have been weighing Queensryche down for years. I like it, but it seems so mediocre, and is the only real reason I don't absolutely adore this album. There is a good deal of material here. Picking up momentum at Signs say go, Re-arrange you is forceful and threatening, while the Chase is an absolute album highlight. Vocal duet/duel between Tate and Dio? Magnificent! The latter half of the album goes from heavy rock to Almost Floyd-like. Near the end you get a speedy shot with Fear City Slide, ending with a ballad All the Promises.

The album is very solid. It has varying styles, and is a classic Queensryche album. No, it is not as good as the original... But still quite good. My rating is 5 stars.

Alitare | 4/5 |