Pollen - Jacques Tom Rivest  - Jacques Tom Rivest   CD (album) cover

JACQUES TOM RIVEST - JACQUES TOM RIVEST

Pollen

Todd
Rock Progressivo Italiano!
4 stars What a wonderful surprise!

I love Pollen's album, so why did I wait so long before trying this one? I don't have a good answer--I'll have to chalk it up to the cover!

Tom Rivest, the vocalist/guitarist/main songwriter for Pollen, released this album a few years after the Pollen album was released. I think many of the elements of Pollen which I love--wonderful melody, thick textures, interesting harmonies--are present on this album, in a stripped down form. This album to my ears brings much of what I love about Pollen, but is more subtle and accessible. The flashy instrumentation, more complex arrangements, and complex time signatures are also downplayed. In fact in many respects this album reminds me of some of the other solo type projects that I love (Pierpaolo Bibbo, Enzo Capuano, and Anthony Phillips come immediately to mind).

Some of the highlights are La Langue De Son Pays, Voyage Au Tibet, and Messager Du Temps. If you love Pollen (or any of the artists I mentioned above), don't hesitate to give this album a try. I think you'll agree that it brings many many rewards.

Todd | 4/5 |