Genesis - Three Sides Live CD (album) cover

THREE SIDES LIVE

Genesis

UMUR
3 stars Three Sides Live is the third live album by UK progressive rock act Genesis. The original album from 1982 was a double with three sides live ( as the title suggests) and one side with studio material which was recorded between 1979 and 1981. The live material is primarely taken from their two latest albums at the time Duke (1980) and Abacab (1981) and includes some of the better tracks from those albums. Unfortunately the only track from And Then There Were Three...(1978) is Follow You, Follow Me which I have always seen as one of the most cheesy ballad type tracks the band ever made. I really dislike that song.

The real attraction for the fans of seventies Genesis is of course the 11:52 minute long In The Cage / Cinema Show / Slippermen medley and Afterglow. The medley is excellent. Played with lots of power and conviction and the same can be said about Afterglow ( even though it was never my favorite from the band). The CD re-release includes One for the Vine, Fountain of Salmacis and It/ Watcher of the Skies instead of the studio tracks that were on the original LP which should greatly increase the reasons for buying the CD version.

The five studio tracks from the original LP are all of the usual high commercial pop/ rock quality. A few of them even stand out as being pretty good to my ears and thatīs Me and Virgil and especially Evidence of Autumn which style-wise could have been on And Then There Were Three... album.

The musicianship and production is top notch.

So itīs rather critical which version of this album you purchase as the CD version will probably speak more to fans of seventies Genesis than the LP version which only has a limited connection to that era of the bands output. The CD version is a BIG 3 star album for me while the LP version is just a 3 star album, so my final rating will be 3 stars.

UMUR | 3/5 |