Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient CD (album) cover

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

friso
4 stars Ziltoid the Omniscient

I've seen flashes of this strange artwork before on PA but lately I wanted to know what kind of music this was. Since my quest for '70 prog started I haven't listened to progressive metal for years. It doesn't do it for me anymore. But... This trash/psychedelic metal album I like very much!

The reason for the great effect of this recording is the concept. A storyline with characters somehow gives the music a destination. A lot of groups made better concept albums then non-concept albums. Devin Townsend did a well job here. His characters are made in a way you can't get them out of your head! He played all the instruments and sung all vocals of all the characters.

First we have Ziltoid the Omniscient (whatever that may be). He is a fourth dimensional alien coming to earth to get the perfect cup of coffee in order to be able travel trough time. He claims to be the greatest guitar hero. He is the main character in the story. His war on the earth and the humans (who won't give him his coffee) kind of fails. The Humans flee with their hero Captain Specteculair with the Solar wind in Hyperdrive to Nebual 9. On this planet they defeat Ziltoid. This makes Ziltoid discide to call the Planes Smasher (named Herman). Herman won't comply because he hates musicals. Being confused by this event Ziltoid (the Omniscient) goes the Omniversial Creator (a strange kind of hippiej). Ziltoid ask him what he really is. From this point the conversation gets philosofical. Your own interpretation of the lyrics can make this part very worthwile. Are we all just puppets?

If you read this you will be convinced this ain't a very serious story, but hilarious! Still all emotions in the music make you able to let you fantasy work and you'll feel the problems of the characters. The fact that's it's so fiction will free you from your everyday concerns. You just listen to the story and music. A good look at the lyrics are essential here.

The sound of this record is very harsh trash metallike. The musical themes are very progressive however. The guitars change ritmes fast and sound a bit dreamy. It's spacemetal, but it doesn't sound like a computer game like most spacemetal projects. It's perfectly played. The recording is a bit to extreme though... It could have been more subtle. The drums are electronic. This is a pitty. Why not just hire a good drummer? For the production and drums this album could never be a five star album.

The concept is perfect, fresh I would say. The recording is good enough. The effect on me is huge! Since I got this cd I listened to it twice a day. This never happened to me before because I normally dislike cd's and listen to vinyl. So... I solid four star album with an extremely five star feel however...

P.S Beware... this will stick like glue on your memory! Ziltoid the Omnischiet will become your way of life! Don't forget to see his messages he sents to earth on youtube.

friso | 4/5 |