The Who - The Who Sell Out  CD (album) cover

THE WHO SELL OUT

The Who

Proto-Prog

Alitare
2 stars They sell out? Does this mean they are even more pop punk?

Fear not, friends. This is the natural progression from their last bland affair. First off, it is humorous, secondly, the band begins to grow as a whole.

Opener is a solid pop rock song, with some fun to offer. The vocals seem to jump far ahead of their predecessors, and is actually not terrible. Guess what? The lyrics are still bad.

Yes, more experimental this time around, but does it add up to a more interesting listen? Somewhat. Is it sad that the joke songs have stronger melodies than actual songs on their last two efforts? I think so.

The actually pretty it up a bit. Mary Anne With Shaky hands is nice with its soft sound. Nothing more than pop, but good pop. I just wish they could write lyrics that are deeper than "this girl has shaky hands" What a depressing set of lyrical content. Almost comes off as a children's rhyme. Odorono is a fine song, solid in approach and delivery, but it is still painfully simple.

Tattoo has a calming atmosphere, and is possibly the best thing so far, as it is a pretty song. The singing these boys exhibit is progressing even more, and their layered vocals become more and more pleasing with each sequential release. Our Love Was, is even more fine pop. Again POP. So yes, these guys sell out a bit, if your definition of selling out is making more songs that are actually pretty. And yes, these songs can be pretty. This is a chasm away from their ear wracking punk roots. Still not perfect, but quite solid. If only the lyrics didn't fail miserably.

I Can See For Miles has more Beatles worshiping, but the hook is decent, and it is a fairly rocking tune. The acoustic guitars in the mix are a warm touch, and show maturity. Again, not amazing, but a vast improvement. It all gets a bit monotonous, though...

I Can't Reach You continues in the same path. They wear out this atmosphere. They honestly aren't very diverse, yet. It is mid-tempo soft pop rock. It is fine mid tempo soft pop rock, though. Again, the "fake" songs sound better than tracks form their first album. I still don't know whether to laugh or cry about that. Pretty banal gimmick, though. Relax has a good riff, and if it wasn't exactly the same as everythign we have heard so far, I'd call it good. It is average at best, though. The vocals are actually pretty good, though. I like the build up, and the guitar solo actually has worth, this time. Silas Stingy has a nice flow, and the song is at least something a bit different. Not much, but a bit. Those lyrics are a travesty. Am I wrong to ask for lyrics that aren't in the vein of a coloring book?

Then you have the greatest moment on here. Psychedelic and soft. the acoustic guitar accentuates the thin singing. Lyrically decent, and bubbly in a good way. It is also not like much anything else this album wants to lumber your way. Pretty. Rael has a nice majestic rock to it, with imperial undertones.

I don't know if The Who sold out, but they do improve, so if selling out leads to something musically better, then I am all for it. There isn't much progression on this record, though. The songs never offend this time around, and they slowly grow as musicians, and as a working band. A decent album.

Best song - Sunrise

Worst Song - Mary Anne with Shaky hands, but almost all of the songs are average pop.

** Very Strong Stars