Coheed And Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness CD (album) cover

Coheed And Cambria

2 stars I'm going to keep this one fairly simple.

Coheed & Cambria are kind of like a prog band. I wish they would be more like one because this album shows how awesome they would be if they just let the creativity fly. Unfortunately, they seem to be stifled by the ever-increasing pressure to be popular.

These days, when record sales are so very low, its hard to blame them. But ultimately, that doesn't change the fact that this isn't really a prog-album. It's part of one, and that part is so good I wish they had recorded the rest.

Let me clarify. This is like 2 different albums. "Side 1" is the emo-power-pop side. It mostly quite poor, except for the third track, WELCOME HOME, which has an enormous solo, and the sixth track, APOLLO I, which introduces musical ideas that will feature later in the album on what I call "Side 2".

So... "Side 2", as I call it, is the 30 minute long Wishing Well suite.

This is one of the best pieces of post-2000 prog I've ever heard. Hell, the suite is so riveting, rocking and down right awesome that it earns both of the stars for this album just by itself.

You can draw your own conclusions as to how many stars I awarded the first 11 tracks!

What a shame. I feel like this band has the talent to be legendary, but they are content to merely be popular for now. Really a pity. I bought "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth..." and "No World For Tomorrow" just to see if C&C realised their potential on either of those. Unfortunately, they did not.

Eapo_q42 | 2/5 |