Saga - Heads Or Tales CD (album) cover

4 stars Crichton absolutely kills on this album!! Pitchman is a highlight for me, nice funky groove and some stellar guitar pyrotechnics at the end. (But of course, you really need to hear Crichton perform this live.) Flyer and Catwalk kick off the album with aggressive guitar pyrotechnics from Crichton and an stunningly clean sound, featuring Michael Sadler at his least operatic. Also throughout there is some nice rumbling bass from the other Crichton. After a couple of songs Social Orphan brings back the guitar-driven pace, midway through the album.

The album not very prog. I really should give it 3 stars, but I can't. It's my favorite album from them. It's an album I couldn't wait to play when they recently put it (back?) on Rhapsody. There are just some good rockers here. Did I mention that Crichton is amazing? If you read my review of their first, you might have gotten the idea that I disliked the accent on the shredding, (although I couldn't help but gush over Pitchman there as well). What can I say, they were good as being a pop-prog band and synth-rockers with a resident shredder.

And people who are interested in unique songs should really check out Pitchman. Oddly enough it was hearing this song that clued me into the idea that their music might be interesting and not just for Crichton.

axeman | 4/5 |